Posts by tracey1970

I never use a heating core. I don't want the big hole(s) in my cake. I use greased, inverted metal flower nails. One or two in smaller pans (9" - 12") and more in larger pans. Spread out the nails to evenly spread the heat. The holes left by these nails is way smaller than those left by a heating core. The nail holes are easy to hide with buttercream and/or fondant.
I use the Wilton roller, but you don't have to. If you cover your cake board with anything that isn't food safe, you have a couple of options to make it foodsafe. At Michael's you can buy food grade cellophane wrap in a roll. I use that to go over wrapping paper, comic strips, anything else I decide to put on a cake board that isn't food safe. Your other choice is to cover the board as you wish and then put the cake itself on another board the exact same size as the cake,...
Satin Ice
I'll second that. Sugarshacks DVD is great. In the short term, though, there are tutorials on Youtube for how to handle, roll out, and cover a cake with fondant. Many of them a quite good.
I agree. I use it all the time. Tightly wrapped for a year, and it's fine.
I use Satin Ice on every cake too. I roll it out on a mat covered with a thin coat of shortening. I haven't had a problem with that - and I cover the cake right away.
That pic is of a cupcake with a mini-ball pan half on top. I have made a larger sized ornament out of the larger sized sports ball pan (it's in my photos), and I made a golf ball out of the same pan covered in fondant (in my photos). Covering a ball in fondant is the same as covering any cake in fondant = lots of gentle smoothing. Good luck!
The Mickey Mouse cookies in my photos are done with black royal icing, and I used Americolor black to get the colour.
Satin Ice
I've done OK with Wilton melts at 30% power on the microwave. I have made the mistake of forgetting to turn down the heat and have had it seize because it burned. I did have a problem with the orange Wilton ones for Hallowe'en. I also use the Merckens wafers, and I find those troublesome. They melt fine, but as I let them sit on the heating pad that I keep my chocolate on while I work, it doesn't want to stay melted like the Wilton melts usually do. Not sure why????