Posts by Lyoshka

Holy cow, that looks amazing! thank you for sharing!
Snowflake, thank you so very much for your compliment! It's heartwarming to think somebody on CC loves my work.  I'm not a professional baker and it's always been a hobby of mine, i just recently started looking into making it an actual business.  So it's great to see people think my skillz don't suck :)
Jedi Knight, I agree with you, I wouldn't treat it as a sculpted cake, since I didn't sculpt anything (though my discovery of that basket weave qualified by the time I spent on it teehee).  I treated it as a cake with two tiers with time-consuming decorations.  The flowers (hydrangeas) were new to me, so took longer because I was leaning them, but now would go much, much faster.  
Ok, that is exactly how I priced it out ;)
thank you! You are definitely undercharging. I don't see how it would even pay for your ingredients, if it's a specialized cake with luster dusts, etc..
HI Denise! thank you for the kind words.  Are you basing the $240 on 40 servings or 62? I see a lot of people say they measure cake slices as 1X2, not 1.5X2. 
K8, thank you for your input and the comliment :) No, I didn't design a cake as I was going :) I talk with a customer, get their ideas, design a sketch, we go back and forth until we have THE cake on paper, then I price it out and move forward.  I'm not a professional baker, so a lot of things still take me longer than they should.  The cakes are made in my home kitchen, with limited space and equipment.  That will always equal longer time.  I have a regular KitchenAid...
here ya go :) https://www.facebook.com/notes/faye-cahill-cake-design/fondant-waffle-weave-tutorial/10151092122516717
I'm actually going to invest in CakeBoss software and really break down the cake in there. I kept track of how many batches of batter each flavor took and how much ganache i used, so I feel I will be able to come pretty close to estimating what ingredients cost. Not too sure about how to price sugar flowers. But estimated five hours and charged $20 an hour, but it took me way longer:)
Thank you, remnant ;)   Jedi, good questions.. I haven't added up what the inedible cost, will do that tonight.  The cake probably took about 20 hours.  I didn't count exactly.  I'm slower than I should be with a lot of things, I realize, and getting faster and faster at a lot of things.     I want to find that balance between what a cake should really be priced at and what people would be willing to pay (NOT comparing my work to Costco or anything like that).  Just...