Posts by costumeczar

I'm dying laughing right now because this is so true...
I don't think WIlton fondant has anything strange about it (other than the flavor) so it might get soft but it shouldn't totally melt. It might soften up and stick to the frosting but that's normal.
Technically sharpies are nontoxic so it wouldn't matter if it was on something that wasn't going to be eaten...Really, people could eat fondant with sharpie on it and it won't matter. But ugh. You could also use crayons too, and it wouldn't kill anyone but the concept is gross.   On the other hand, unless you use FDA approved petal dusts like Crystal Colors, you're putting non toxic stuff on your cakes if you dust them. Or for any disco dust users, plastic glitter....
Based on the number of people who have started selling cakes with no business experience regarding professionalism, I would believe this actually did happen.
oh ugh
This isn't as farfetched as you might think it sounds...I started charging for appointments recently because I had so many no-shows and I also had planners who I suspected were sending people to me just to make it look like they were giving them a choice before pushing them toward the bakers who give them kickbacks. As soon as I started charging all of that nonsense stopped, and certain planners have totally stopped sending people to me. I suspect that certain jerky bakers...
On that note, another mistake that people make is to take too much in advance and go spend it right away without taking note of their own refund policies. I only do a $100 retainer because I don't want to hold that much money in my bank account for months to a year. Since there's a section in my contract that allows for a full refund of the retainer if I drop dead, I leave the retainers in my account until the cake is done. I rarely have trouble with anyone not paying, I...
Did you say she's reproducing? Because this is the argument that every parent hears from their kids and tells them it's garbage. "everyone's doing it!"
I had to email a bride this week to say that if I didn't receive payment by that afternoon there wouldn't be a wedding cake. Interestingly enough, about half an hour after I left messages at every phone number I had in her contact info,  the payment showed up.   What gets me about the OP's original post is the thing about not wanting to be mean. It isn't "mean" to ask to be paid for your work. It isn't "mean" to want to make a profit on a business. I took my cat to get...
It will stick to anything...if it doesn't you can get the surface of the fondant slightly damp and it will, but I've used gold leaf and attached it to dry wafer paper before and it grabs right on.