Posts by LoriMc

I was going to donate some Sugar cookies with RBC for a local church fish fry this weekend. The cookies will probably be put out in the early afternoon, 2:00pm and be outside in the heat until 10:00pm. It has been hot and humid here lately, most days in the mid 90's. Can RBC withstand the heat? I am afraid it will become soft and melted and I was planning on attaching a business card to the bags. I would hate for the cookies to be gross especially with my name on...
This is the weirdest icing experience ever. Remind me to never do another cake that will be outdoors! The brown icing had little tiny specks that would not mix in, but then I made some green and it was fine. What the heck????
It's the same brand powdered sugar I always use. It has to be the merigue powder because that's the first time I've tried it in buttercream. I even sifted it before I added it. You can't see it in the white icing, but when I colored the other part brown you can see tiny little specks of brown that are not mixing in. I mixed it in the KA for a long time but it didn't seem to help. I guess I'm out of luck unless someone here knows a trick to getting the color...
This cake is really starting to wear on me! Ok I made the all shortening buttercream version and added meringue powder for stability because this cake will be outside. Now when I added the color (americolor) gel it's all grainy looking. What's the problem? I've never had this happen before, but I've never added meringue powder before either. Help!
Ok guys I made the all shortening recipe with meringue powder added for stability. I also have some leftover buttercream from last week. I piped some out on plates of each recipe and let them sit out in the 90 degree heat for the last three hours. (They are in the shade though.) The regular buttercream is very soft, but hasn't completely melted, and the all shortening is extremely crusted and doesn't seem to be melting. My only concern is the all shortening seems to...
bumping for the late night crowd
I got Publix brand shortening today and the trans fat is 2.5 per Tablespoon. Is this considered high ratio? I assume this is what Crisco was before they changed the recipe.
I think I'm gonna do a dry run with an all shortening recipe and add extra butter flavor. Hopefully I can find a cheap store brand that still adds trans fat around here. Our local cake decorating store doesn't carry any kind of shortening and I don't think I have time to order online.
What is dream whip? Has anybody tasted this high humidity icing before? I would be interested in your comments.Thanks for the help!Oh yeah where do you buy hi ratio shortening?
My neighbor's daughter is having an outside wedding and had asked me to do a cake that looks like her daughter's dog for that day. It was going to be for the bride and bridesmaid's lunch, but now she has decided to take it to the wedding. It has been between 85-90 degrees here and we have lots of humidity (I am in the south.) I use 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening in my reicpe and I was wondering what I could do to help it hold up in the heat? I really don't want to...