Posts by LoriMc

Actually, it does give structural support.  The reason I know this is, I once tried to trim some of the dark brown section off a wonder mold cake. (They take forever to bake) When I inserted the Barbie, it formed cracks on both sides and I had to re-bake it.    That's the only time my cake has ever cracked open, so in this case the outer layer does provide support.
I want to try this, but all I can find so far are 12" tiles.  I was trying to replicate it for an 8" and 6" cake, with pans and dried beans.  I did the same ratio of weight as a 12" tile would be for a 12" cake, which made me wonder....are all 12" tiles relatively the same weight?  Mine was about 3.25 lbs.    Has anybody weighed their tile??
I don't refrigerate strawberry cakes.  Why would you if the fruit is cooked while it's baked?  
  I'm curious with the sour cream if that frosting requires refrigeration?  
I could not sell someone a cake that has been sitting out for four days.  That is just my own personal preference.   The rule of thumb I've read before is, a baked and iced cake is at it's best for first three days unrefrigerated, or with refrigeration for one week.  
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU Leah!   I have had have the worst time lately with air bubbles popping up in my buttercream. I've begun to cringe every morning when I go look at the cake I finished the night before. I came on here yesterday to ask if anyone knew how to prevent them and happened upon this thread.  Just to cover all my bases, I broke the seal of icing at the bottom and poked a hole in both tiers with a skewer.  Looks great this morning!      I...
All these threads about serving sizes make my head spin.  I rarely do wedding cakes, and this is partly the reason.  I feel bad charging a bride the same price for a wedding size piece of cake, as I do for a party size piece for a birthday customer.     Anybody else have this issue??  I can't in good conscience, use the Wilton wedding cake chart for birthday cake portions.  Maybe if they were cutting pieces for small children, but adults definitely expect a bigger...
I explained to her that that much almond might be overwhelming to some of her guests.  She doesn't care, so I'm doing it anyway. I'll just not put much in the icing.   It's funny because I'm in the South too, and I've never had this request before.   Also, the Pink Cake Box cake has been scaled waaaaaaay down.  I'm no fool .  
Someone already messaged me.  Thanks!  
Someone was supposed to do this for me, but she had to cancel.   I'm near Nashville and it's a Cinderella image, so I can't take the picture to the store and get it done.    Anyone willing to ship one tomorrow if I pay extra shipping?  Thanks.