Posts by LoriMc

I love this thread. I'm going to try the new SW yellow cake today and decrease the milk to 1/4 cup.  I'm testing it out on a sheet cake.  Has anybody tried this recipe in a sheet cake?  I would hate for it to sink in the middle!     Also, question....why was the White on White recipe included in the yellow cake scratch off?  I was under the assumption yellow cakes have yolks.  Am I wrong in this?
Can you sub cornstarch for the potato starch?  I'd like to try this recipe today, but it's snowing and I don't want to go out!
I've been on this forum for several years, and I have to say, I'm a little embarrassed at the way a new person is treated when asking a valid question.  Can't we educate others without mocking them?
 Can anyone help?  My computer won't open this file.  What program do you have to use?
 I know this thread is old, but I have to say I completely agree with you.  I've never understood charging more for wedding cakes, especially when some people are using smaller servings for their wedding cakes.  I don't do a lot of weddings, but I can tell you with 100% truthfulness, the wedding cakes I've done in the past year have been waaaaaaay less complicated than the birthday cakes I've done.  Maybe it's because simple is more the style for weddings lately, I don't...
I've never heard of it. Thanks, I'll look it up.
 Doesn't Sweetex contain partially hydrogenated oil?  I think that's what the FDA is going after this time. http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm372915.htm
I do use vegetable shortening in my icing, along with butter.  I saw that the FDA is wanting to eliminate trans fat and partially hydrogenated oils from the food of Americans.  I switched to a generic brand when Crisco changed their formula.    I guess this will mean changes for people who are using high ratio shortening too.   I really don't want to go to all butter.  Guess I'll wait to see what the shortening brands come up with.
 Yes, it was just a white cake with a rainbow border.  No one where I live would pay $95 for an 8" cake.  Even the most expensive bakery in town only charges $60 ish.  I don't think I could justify that price, but if you can get people to pay it, more power to you.
I think that sounds reasonable.  I quoted her $45.  She can take it or go to the expensive bakery in town and pay even more.