Posts by LoriMc

I do use vegetable shortening in my icing, along with butter.  I saw that the FDA is wanting to eliminate trans fat and partially hydrogenated oils from the food of Americans.  I switched to a generic brand when Crisco changed their formula.    I guess this will mean changes for people who are using high ratio shortening too.   I really don't want to go to all butter.  Guess I'll wait to see what the shortening brands come up with.
 Yes, it was just a white cake with a rainbow border.  No one where I live would pay $95 for an 8" cake.  Even the most expensive bakery in town only charges $60 ish.  I don't think I could justify that price, but if you can get people to pay it, more power to you.
I think that sounds reasonable.  I quoted her $45.  She can take it or go to the expensive bakery in town and pay even more.
But there is the extra time it takes to bake all those layers individually.  I don't have 6 (8") pans!
Thanks!
So far I've dodged the bullet on these, but I'm curious how everyone is charging for these rainbow layer cakes? I can imagine the time it takes, especially if you don't have pans/space to bake 6 layers at a time.   I usually charge by the serving, but I don't even know how many servings would be in an 8" round, for example.    Any help appreciated!
It's the steady2hands recipe on this site, lol.
Got an email last night from someone I made a cake for earlier in the year.  She says her mom was wanting my strawberry cake recipe. Is is weird I don't want to give it to her?    Anybody else dealt with this? I don't know what to say!
When you say quarter sheet, what size do you mean?  Sorry, I know there are different measurements for those terms.  If you mean 9x13, my chart said a 2 layer 9x13 would be 45 servings, and I was scared there would be less than 40 after I carved it.
I have one to make today for 40 people.  I think I'll use two 11x15's. Looks great though!!!!!