Posts by LoriMc

I love creme bouquet, but I only add it in the cake.  Magic Line makes my favorite clear vanilla and butter flavoring, but for some reason, I don't like their creme bouquet. It's so light, I can barely taste it.  This is the one time I prefer CK over Magic Line.   My favorite cake flavor!
Thanks!  I'm going to try that with a flower nail. 
I'm baking until it's done.  I don't want to bake it longer than that.  What temp are you baking it at?
This is my favorite vanilla cake, hands down, but am I the only one here still struggling with the sinking issues?  I noticed there were a lot of comments on her blog where people said their cakes sunk. What should I toy with?  I always bake cakes at 325.  Should I raise it?  Use a flower nail even in small cakes?  Suggestions would be great.  I really don't want to give up on this one.  **sorry for the double post**
  I'm surprised it works so well with half the eggs!  Maybe the other person's cake was more yellow because they used all the eggs. I'm just about to throw my hands up in the air and use butter cake instead of yellow. I think part of the issue is that I grew up on yellow cake mix, and I'm having a hard time replicating that without all the chemicals, lol.
This is my favorite vanilla cake, hands down, but am I the only one here still struggling with the sinking issues?  I noticed there were a lot of comments on her blog where people said their cakes sunk.   What should I toy with?  I always bake cakes at 325.  Should I raise it?  Use a flower nail even in small cakes?  Suggestions would be great.  I really don't want to give up on this one.
I just made the Slyvia Weinstock yellow cake (with 1/4 c milk adjustment).  I was really disappointed at how much it shrank! The taste was ok, but I didn't fall over with excitement.    Also made CakeLove's yellow cake.  Loved the texture.  Taste was ok too, but I subbed all vanilla for the brandy.  Why can't I get happy with a yellow cake recipe?
I realize I am going to run into this.  Can't do anything about it now, unfortunately.  So Jason, according to your formula, you really aren't doing a per serving price right?  Every cake is individual based on the amount of time and supplies it takes?
 So, recently this lady asked me to make an 8" rainbow layer (6 colors/layers on the inside), with rainbow chevron on the outside (over buttercream icing) and a fondant paint palette and fondant paintbrush on top.   I quoted her $67 dollars.  Her reply back to me was "Yikes!  I've never paid that much for your cakes in the past".     People just don't get it.....and she's a good customer.  It irritated me so bad, that I called the local bakery and got a quote.  I told her...
So, I've looked at Jason's formula a few times.  Here is my problem.  Someone sends me a picture of a cake with tons of design on it.  How do I give them an estimate without knowing the amount of time it's going to take to make it?   That is where I am failing myself when it comes to pricing.  Is everyone just guessing?  Maybe I'm not a good guesser.    Does anyone have a set price for 3D fondant figures, or are you just pricing those in supplies and hours it takes to...