Posts by LoriMc

I realize I am going to run into this.  Can't do anything about it now, unfortunately.  So Jason, according to your formula, you really aren't doing a per serving price right?  Every cake is individual based on the amount of time and supplies it takes?
 So, recently this lady asked me to make an 8" rainbow layer (6 colors/layers on the inside), with rainbow chevron on the outside (over buttercream icing) and a fondant paint palette and fondant paintbrush on top.   I quoted her $67 dollars.  Her reply back to me was "Yikes!  I've never paid that much for your cakes in the past".     People just don't get it.....and she's a good customer.  It irritated me so bad, that I called the local bakery and got a quote.  I told her...
So, I've looked at Jason's formula a few times.  Here is my problem.  Someone sends me a picture of a cake with tons of design on it.  How do I give them an estimate without knowing the amount of time it's going to take to make it?   That is where I am failing myself when it comes to pricing.  Is everyone just guessing?  Maybe I'm not a good guesser.    Does anyone have a set price for 3D fondant figures, or are you just pricing those in supplies and hours it takes to...
I love this thread. I'm going to try the new SW yellow cake today and decrease the milk to 1/4 cup.  I'm testing it out on a sheet cake.  Has anybody tried this recipe in a sheet cake?  I would hate for it to sink in the middle!     Also, question....why was the White on White recipe included in the yellow cake scratch off?  I was under the assumption yellow cakes have yolks.  Am I wrong in this?
Can you sub cornstarch for the potato starch?  I'd like to try this recipe today, but it's snowing and I don't want to go out!
I've been on this forum for several years, and I have to say, I'm a little embarrassed at the way a new person is treated when asking a valid question.  Can't we educate others without mocking them?
 Can anyone help?  My computer won't open this file.  What program do you have to use?
 I know this thread is old, but I have to say I completely agree with you.  I've never understood charging more for wedding cakes, especially when some people are using smaller servings for their wedding cakes.  I don't do a lot of weddings, but I can tell you with 100% truthfulness, the wedding cakes I've done in the past year have been waaaaaaay less complicated than the birthday cakes I've done.  Maybe it's because simple is more the style for weddings lately, I don't...
I've never heard of it. Thanks, I'll look it up.
 Doesn't Sweetex contain partially hydrogenated oil?  I think that's what the FDA is going after this time. http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm372915.htm