Posts by kdbasher

Ha, ha, ha, ha!!!!!!!!!!  Yes, we always have stuff lying around that we want to just get rid of for free!!!!  And I'm sure the grocery store will be happy to give away free cupcakes!  All you have to do is ask! Thanks for the great laugh this morning!
Sorry this is long, but it just goes to show what can happen if you have a soft heart.   A few weeks after a no response princess castle cake, I have this woman call my house and leave a message that she would like to talk to me about doing a cake, but I can’t call her back because it is a surprise.  So she tries contacting me by phone for nearly a week, and finally on Sunday, comes and finds me, in between my two cake classes, to talk about this cake.  I take a...
I have read all the comments on this thread, and have laughed quite hard a number of times!  I do cakes occasionally for people from my home because it is something I love to do.  But I will add a couple of things I've had happen to me.  Sorry - but this will be LONG!   Doing a consultation for a bride and groom, and letting them know what their cake would cost, the groom says, "Why is it so much?  A box of cake mix is only a buck."  I politely responded that, while...
I am in the same boat as you!  I purchase Sweetex, but it takes me about 1.5 years to go through an entire box.  The last one I ordered came in about a week and a half ago, and it is 0 trans fat.  Since it had been so long since I ordered, and I didn't have the old box (I measure out the quantities I need and put them in food saver bags) I thought that it was the same.  IT IS NOT!  I thought it was my fault it was lumpy because I left it in my car a few days (it's still...
Well, I ended up doing the cake.  I am such a softie!  But I really should have declined considering how I felt most of the week.  The client agreed to do the first cake I actually sent them Wednesday evening!  I was teaching class that night and the next morning, so I didn't get to bake until Thursday afternoon, and with a Cub Scout Blue and Gold Banquet that evening, I did not start on the cake until Friday morning.  It did turn out well, and I did use fondant that I...
I am about to pull my hair out.  For a week, a woman tried to contact me about doing a cake for her husbands 75th birthday, but kept missing me.  She didn't leave a message until Thursday, and requested I not call her back, because it was a surprise.   Well, we finally connected on Sunday.  They are inviting 50 people and the theme is black and gold.  No other direction, she just doesn't want a sheet cake.  Oh, and she wants to keep the cost to about...
I'm doing a wedding cake and the bride has asked for a "not-so-sweet, whipped icing." Normally I would use Bettercreme, but she would like ribbons wrapped around the cake, but this could be a potential nightmare since it does not crust. Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative that crusts?Thanks!
The fountain is mine, and I've used it on at least 3 other occasions with no problems. It is the Wilton Fanci Fountain, and I believe I filled it with an ample amount of water. We could see the impeller rotate briefly, but then it would stop. That's why I was confused as to what was causing the problem. I should be getting it back tomorrow night, so I will be checking it out on Wednesday.In hindsight, I should have disassembled the cake and taken the fountain away, but...
I made a wedding cake for a couple who wanted a fountain under the cake, just like one I had made a few years ago. I fit everything at home, and color the water for the fountain and test it out at home. No problems whatsoever.I deliver the cake, and set up the fountain, place the stacked cake on top of the stand, then fill the fountain with water. I turn it on - the pump is running, but it's not pulling water up the fountain. AGGHH!I take it apart, put it back together...
Thanks for the information. I searched a little here for the answer, and when I didn't find it, figured it would be quicker just to ask as I was sure someone had done it before.Jan - The thread links you provided were great! I will use the pan recipe on the thread and do them that way. Exactly what I wanted/needed to know.Jackmo - I definitely thought of using my cookie treat pans, but thought that using an Easter Egg cutter would be a better shape for the face. Maybe...