Posts by cakeladydi

I understand the reputation part and different tasting cakes part but I was wondering. . . . Has anyone here or does anybody know someone who has actually been sued or been threatened to be sued because of illness from the cake? What is there in a cake that might make someone that sick?Just sorta thinking out loud.Diane
Anywhere to buy retail? Wouldn't I have to have a business license to buy wholesale?Diane
Have ya'll ever tried "Penguin" high ratio shortening? I purchased some at my local (well 45 minutes away) cake shop and I love it. I have searched the web but I can only find where it can be purchased wholesale. I need retail. If anyone has tried how does it compare to Alpine and Sweetex?Thanks,Diane
Why don't you let them set overnight and see how they are in the morning? Sometimes if the weather isn't just right it takes a while. Next time dip out a couple and see if they look like they are going to harden. If not just be patient and let them cool in your pot a little longer. Don't leave them though just kinda keep stirring (to cool them down) and keep a close eye on them. Once you start dipping them out if it starts getting too stiff just return to the stove...
Just don't drive the stick all the way through to the bottom of the apple and be sure the chocolate seals good around where the stick will go into the top. Round sticks work better than the popsicle type. You can cut dowel rods and sharpen just enough so that it will go into the apple easier. CKSouth has them precut and sharpened. We have also made thousands of these for youth fundraisers for mission trips at our church.
I used to work at a shop that was known for its gourmet apples. They were dipped in homemade caramel, rolled in chopped pecans then drizzled with milk chocolate and white chocolate. We let them dry at room temp then bagged them, tied the bags up with curly ribbon and placed in the cooler. I have had these apples in my fridge at home for a month before and my husband would cut them and they were perfectly fine. I think anything on the outside of the apple seals it and...
Melvira: No offense taken here. I completely understand where you are coming from. Most of my customers don't ask for 1/4 or 1/2 they just say, "I need that big sheet cake" (I know they mean 11x15) or "I just need a small sheet cake" (9x13). They usually know if they need something bigger that the 11x15 so then we discuss servings.I hardly ever do the 12x18. I would rather do 2 9x13 and put them together.I really appreciate all the helpful info provided here on CC...
In my neck of the woods:1/4 sheet - 9 x 131/2 sheet - 11 x 15whole sheet - 12 x 18
Heavenscent:Another thing I do is when I have the bottom tier finished before I start working on the next tier I take the seperator plate for the next tier (so if the base is a 14" and the next tier is a 12" I will take the 12" plate with nothing on it and hold it over the 14" finished cake to mark where the "Hidden Pillars" will be placed. The little feet on the bottom of the plate will show you exactly where to place them. And you don't have to press the plate hard...
Sorry heavenscent. I wasn't able to be on CC much today and this is the first time I've seen your post.If the tiers are stacked on top of each other I use the same size plate as the cake size. And I also use the "Hidden Pillars" for the supports. I start with the largest (bottom) and work my way up (smallest). I place one layer on the plate top with icing the place the other layer on top of that. Ice the cake (and it will pretty much be even at the bottom with the...