Posts by LeanneW

That is Sugarveil lace made from this lace mat: http://www.sugarveil.com/mat/sugarveil-mat.htm   It dries like a hard fruit leather, and would take a while to dissolve, unlike royal icing, which would melt right away   When the Sugarveil is still pliable you can cut it with scissors into the doilies.   Alternatively you can pipe Sugarviel mix into any pattern you like, as the mat is quite expensive. Although with the mat you could make like 9 at a time very easily.
Try powdered food coloring, or a light airbrushing on the meringue. The color will bead if you apply too much with the airbrush, but maybe the combo of tinted meringue with airbrushing will achieve the color you want.
 What a great idea! As a person with diet restrictions myself I just don't eat cake unless I made it myself, but I love the idea of giving the caterer/banquet manager an ingredient list!
What are you using to glaze the cake to make it shiny?   I think piping gel and corn syrup would dissolve the image, or at least make the colors run. But I have never tried it with confectioner's glaze. Do you have a piece you can do a test on? That's probably the best thing to do. Let us know what works and what doesn't.
I found this video, it might be helpful. The recipe is a little different but give it a try.   http://www.marthastewart.com/964932/how-make-italian-meringue#964928
 Good to know, I had a food workers permit myself, but our inspector said we would share the kitchen permit. I wonder if it was just easier on him though, less paperwork. But we split the cost which was great! And FYI, we never had a problem, but it was always in the back of my mind every time she left dirty dishes in the sink.
Your bakery name is a very personal thing. I have limited advice:   1. Be sure you name your bakery something you will be proud to say out loud a lot! "Hi I'm Mary from Bakery Name" if it's long or rhymes and you feel silly saying it out loud, don't use it.   2. Be clear, Jack's Landscaping, Pacific Fabrics, Outdoor Depot, you know what they sell/do. I like both the first choices because you are Mary and you sell cake.   As a person who changed my bakery name once...
  AWESOME advice. Thanks for sharing your practiced technique. I always wonder if this method actually works, because in theory it sounds like it would.  I've never had to freeze a cake, but now that I know I can, I might try this. My family live about 200 miles away and I rarely visit them, so unfortunately they end up with a lot of grocery store bought birthday cakes. If I knew they could freeze them, I could bring them up with me when I visit. How long do you think a...
I think the most important things are to represent yourself accurately to your customers, if carving and 3d cakes aren't your thing, then don't put them in your portfolio. truthfully, carved cakes aren't my strength either, I did like 99% wedding cakes.   Every time I had a carved cake, I wouldn't charge enough, I would underestimate how long it would take, I would stress like crazy that they would hate it. So I just stopped doing them.   Of course, just because you...
Hi Tasteetreats,   You likely live near a place that offers Wilton classes. You might find it helpful to have an instructor demonstrate and help you hands-on. Wilton classes are very reasonably priced and cover a lot of the basics of decorating, including leveling and applying fondant. Of course you will use all Wilton products and methods in the class, so after you learn the basics you can expand into other types of tools and methods. But I highly recommend Wilton...