Posts by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Hi. I just wanted to remind everyone that we're still trying to get to 1,000 signatures. Right now we're currently at 970. I think it's pretty sad that it's taken over a year to get to this point (the petition was online beginning on May 4, 2009!). I don't think we're going to be taken too seriously with only 1,000 signatures that took 15 or 16 months to get for the whole state of NJ, but I'm still willing to try. Please, if you haven't signed, or you know of anyone...
I don't remember exactly where I saw it, but I know the video of which you're speaking. I believe I found it either on youtube or from doing a cake site search (Google). Anyway, I was nervous about it, but I tried the technique and it was the easiest thing in the world. I had a bowl of ice cubes and piped my melted candy melts from a parchment cone and in practically no time at all (it sets up really quickly!), I had irregular pieces of candy melts that looked very much...
So sad for the Maher sisters, their employees and customers and everyone else who lived and/or worked in the building!
Ellie, that seems to be the general concensus that I hear. As for margarine, the only time I've ever used it (or heard of it being used) was when I did a cake for someone with dairy allergies and used Fleischman's Light margarine in place of butter and the results were surprisingly good (for the BC - standard). Other than that I would never use margarine in BC.
I have to look it up, Kathi. The recipe I have was given to me by Antoinette Hartman. As I stated above, I've also made Shirley W's IMBC and it was fairly easy and delish! If you have time (energy and money) to try it, I recommend it.
Another, more common, name for moistening syrup is simple syrup. And although everybody's tastes are different, I haven't heard of anyone (yet) that didn't like SMBC or IMBC (slightly different but still very delicious). Before you give up, definitely try using the unsalted butter and/or a different recipe. It might be worth it. I tell people that 'regular' buttercream is more in line with children's tastes and Meringue BC's are more adult. Of course, as I already...
Hi.I haven't tried that recipe exactly, but I have made SMBC. It definitely has a different look and taste compared to traditional American BC. It is a bit shinier. Is that what you mean by "greasy"? Personally, I like it better than the traditional standard American BC, but that's just MHO.Sorry this probably doesn't really answer your question. Have you tried any other recipes for SMBC? I believe the others I tried were Toba Garretts' and ShirleyW's IMBC...
Thanks, Jennifer. I hope you didn't think I meant the oil, flour and some other ingredients when I said how my mother mentioned that things change. lol I was referring to how the manufacturing of certain ingredients change over the years which affect products and thus make the results of baking/cooking different from when you made a recipe using the "old" ingredients. Does that make sense?I guess a great example would be how Crisco no longer contains the same amount of...
I didn't think that would cause the problem. No, I haven't made it again. I've only made the chocolate WASC cake and that was so good I made that again. Don't know if I'll bother going back to this recipe.I remember my mother saying something: things don't taste the same as they used to because they change the ingredients all the time. By that she meant that the milk, butter, etc. that you used to buy 10 years ago is different than the stuff you get today and that...
I didn't think that would cause the problem. No, I haven't made it again. I've only made the chocolate WASC cake and that was so good I made that again. Don't know if I'll bother going back to this recipe.I remember my mother saying something: things don't taste the same as they used to because they change the ingredients all the time. By that she meant that the milk, butter, etc. that you used to buy 10 years ago is different than the stuff you get today and that...