Posts by megankennedy

I just made a sugar free red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting last week. I use gave nectar that I get at whole foods market. It is a liquid sweetener that is all natural from the gave plant. It has an amber color like honey and the texture of thinned honey, and tastes sugar in the raw. In additional tobaking you can use it in tea and coffee and cooking. I put it on pancakes/waffles too. It is more expensive than sugar of course so I price accordingly. ...
Excuse me... did someone say stuffed cookies? Um...do tell! I love baking for family during the holidays, I guess I need to get on it. You guys are 10 steps ahead of me!
Llana, I am curious how many serving did that end up being for you with 4 tiers?
I would most definitely charge more for decorated cookies. More work, more money. It's great that your friend came to u clearly understanding to pay for your hard work. Good luck with this, and don't forget plenty of business cards for the event...
Me and my customers love the apple cake recipe from smitten kitchen's blog. It's kind of dense and very flavorful. Smells great, and don't try to substitute apple juice or cider for the orange juice, for some reason it really does make a difference and brings a more pronounced fruit flavor, not citrus-ey at all tho. I have never frosted it, just served as a pound/bundt cake, but it would probably be great with a spiced buttercream and caramel filling. To stack the...
yes, the bright red color from red velvet cake that people make now is from food color, it used to be from a chemical reaction but not nearly as bright as you would see people selling now. I use regular white vinegar and add about 2 tbsp red food color per batch of batter... but I did see the DC cupcakes episode about them using red wine vinegar....I'll test it out one day to see if it makes a difference in taste. HTH
When I made the bust I did it in Buttercream Dream and used parchment to smooth. It wasn't absolutely smooth but it still looked great. I colored my frosting with red gel colors, but if I had an airbrush I would use it - it took too much color and made the frosting bitter. Hope tihs helps a bit...enjoy the cake, it's fun to make! And impressive...
If you are on the East Coast, I just ordered mine from guildcraft furniture on York, Pa. Dallas Foam would have been priced cheaper for the actual dummies, but shipping costs would have been $60alone, almost double the price! I got my order within 2 days, and customer service was great! I got over 20 pieces from 4" to 12" in round, square, star, sheet, and "paisley"/teardrop for about $80. Hope this helps!
Thank you so much for showing us the picture, I want my husband to build me something like it, and it will really help now for him to have an actual visual and not a drawing as an example. Thanks!
wow, great job! my husband does carpentry and would love it! the "dust" is a great touch....I'm still trying to get it pit of my house from renovations.