Posts by modthyrth

I thought you guys might like the tutorial I wrote for making these gumpaste viking helmet cupcake toppers:  http://tikkido.com/node/996   In honor of the new How to Train Your Dragon movie released today!  Squee!  I think I'm more excited than my girls.  ;-)
Hi there cake friends,   I recently found myself in a pickle--a need for a big gumpaste peony, no peony cutter at my local (awesome) cake store, and no time to order online.  So I improvised and used scalloped heart cookie cutters instead.     It turned out so nicely that I wrote up a quick tutorial for my blog, Tikkido.  Thought you guys might be interested in it.
A bit of clear piping gel on the back of the rhinestone band will work well for you.
ooooh, lovely!  I adore the variation of textures in the scales.  It looks like someone used a circle cutter to cut circles out of the fondant (or gumpaste), used the same circle cutter to cut out the divets and create the point of each scale, and brushed some scales with disco dust, some with luster dust, and left some plain.  And then stuck them on the side of the cake, one by one.
Are the cakes being cut properly?  A nice, moist cake could only be a problem if the cake cutter isn't wiping the blade clean in between cuts.
I always freeze my cookies before baking.  Always.  And I bake them straight from the freezer.  No problems with spreading at all, and I can do the fussy rolling and cut out part weeks before the event!   I second the NFSC recipe on this site, too.  Delicious!
Wrong, actually.  Can't make them AND can't sell them.  Because if you make them, you're denying Ford the opportunity to license the copyrighted content to someone who will pay for the right and sell them to the client.  Will you get caught?  Probably not.  But if you want to be true to the letter of the law, it's not legal.   *puts pretty-much-unused law degree back on the closet shelf*
I needed to do something FAST for a Valentine's day cake for my blog yesterday, looked around at what I had on hand, and came up with this:       Scrapbook paper, skewers, and a glue gun.  It took about 5 minutes.  What do you do when you have to whip something up quickly and don't have time for fondant and gumpaste work?  
Not sure how far you can push it, really.  I've certainly kept royal icing around a week (meringue powder version), and just whipped it back into shape when I needed it again.     I can tell you that, when dried, it lasts decades and decades!  We have royal icing decorations (thousands of them, my cake-decorator grandma never let a drop of royal icing go to waste, and she was a piping goddess) that are easily from the 1960s, and still in perfect shape.
My family's doboshtorte recipe is going to be my December contribution to the Best Friends for Frosting blog.   It uses a ton of yolks!  And is insanely rich and delicious.  I'm not sure which day they're going to post it, but it was styled as a New year's post, so really, any time now.