Posts by cleeg1

Okay - all of a sudden my friends have been asking me to make birthday cakes for their kids & I've really been having a hard time charging them appropriately & it's starting to snowball- one friend sees the cake at a party & says "oh - will u make my son's cake, too" etc etc. I know there's no way they would pay what the cake is really worth (I wouldn't either - that's why I'm making them myself) - but how do I say no to close friends. And OMG are they going to want this...
Can anyone tell me whether they prefer to do scroll work with BC or RI & do u have any tips??Thanks!!!
Can anyone tell me how much they charge per serving for a wedding cake in the Pittsburgh area? BC and fondant.Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Has anyone ever tried to make a design on fondant (aside from an impression) using rubber stamps and coloring? If so, what kind of coloring did you use and did you thin it?
Okay great - thanks. Where do you usually buy the hi-ratio shortening? Do I need to order it over the internet? Also - does the wedding bouquet flavoring make or break the taste or will other flavorings work well, too?Thanks again!!!!!!!
Okay - so I'm getting ready to make my very first wedding cake for a friend (as my gift to her) and I'm trying to settle on the icing. Tonight I made Sugarshack's buttercream and it didn't work out as well as I hoped. It doesn't seem to be as smooth as I hear it should be & the taste is so so so sweet to me. I used Hi-humidity shortening, which the lady at the cake supply store said is comparable to hi-ratio shortening - however there was a long pause when I asked her...
Okay - so I'm getting ready to make my very first wedding cake for a friend (as my gift to her) and I'm trying to settle on the icing. Tonight I made Sugarshack's buttercream and it didn't work out as well as I hoped. It doesn't seem to be as smooth as I hear it should be & the taste is so so so sweet to me. I used Hi-humidity shortening, which the lady at the cake supply store said is comparable to hi-ratio shortening - however there was a long pause when I asked her...
Does anyone know if I need to let the fondant rest awhile after adding gum-tex or can I get right to it?
Great - I will try this today - I'll let ya'll know how it turns out
GREAT Thanks!!