Posts by CakeRN

Really!!!! no one in the Tahoe area? Hard to believe that there are no cake decorators out there.....Teri
I am looking for someone in the Tahoe area that can do a small wedding cake for around 15 to 20 people. A friend of my sister in law is getting married out there and needs or feels like she needs to have some small cake for the occasion but she doesn't want to pay 200 dollars which is what others are trying to talk her into. If you are remotely interested email me through cake central and I will get you the particulars ...Teri
Like someone said "old and wealthy"....well maybe not so wealthy but well off enough. I do charge for my supplies if someone wants a specialty cake. I don't do that many cakes anymore. I would do them for showers or special occasions at work and birthdays too. Now if my sisters want cakes for birthdays or whatever then I do charge them. I am not a charity to give away stuff for free. I do not advertise though either..
I make a cream cheese icing using butter, powd sugar, cream cheese and vanilla with a tad bit of milk.... ummmm....goood....
Are you making a large Penguin cake or just a penguin figurine? If you use gumpaste to cover a penguin cake it will be to hard and when you go to cut it ...a mess. If you are doing just a figurine then use gumpaste....but on the cake itself use just fondant over a buttercream iced cake. I personally like the icing to be soft not crusted when I put the fondant on...
It is so much easier to be an RN than a cake decorator...thank goodness my life does not depend on me making cakes to survive...lol..It is easier to keep the decorating supplies you use the most in a handy spot and the things you use less in another area.It is easier to ice a cake on a turn table or lazy susan type table.
yeah make it and drape it right away....
Diane Simmons ( cake decorator in Michigan and cake person extroidinare) charges (and this was 4 yrs ago) 5.00 per flower. Now prices have gone up in that time so yes I would charge at least 7.00 plus a rush charge. Who orders like that at the last minute....crazy people!
Wow...hell has frozen over and pigs are flying everywhere. Never in a million ...no gazillion years would I have ever thought to hear this...You know my first Bachelors degree was in Home Economics Teaching (which I never went into after ) and an Associates in Food Management( which I used for 10 yrs before becoming an RN). I despised my student teaching time so never taught. I give you mucho kudo's for wanting to teach and you will find being of a mature age you have an...
Awesome video....I wish I were in Chapel Hill to go to your shop! All of your stuff looks so yummy too! My brother and his wife live in Burlington NC...is that far from you?