Posts by tcakes65

A bride is wanting me to design a wedding cake inspired by the lace scrolls on the attached picture.  Any idea where to find the scroll cutters or molds?  I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find anything similar.  Your help is much appreciated.  Thank you!
My question would be why is the venue charging a serving fee for cupcakes? Unless they are putting them on a cart and taking them around to the guest tables, there is nothing for them to cut and serve. As for reimbursement of the deposit, it is easy to want to cave and be nice. However, you must stick to your contract. Otherwise, why have a contract if you aren't going to uphold it? People do talk, and if you breach your own contract, other clients may expect you to...
Thanks! I think there is room for everyone. The law is written vaguely and has soooo many holes in it. I just find that frustrating at times. I just think things could have been more specific and handled better so that bakers don't have to call the Dept of Ag to get info or confirmation on things.
Well, you are more than welcome to call the Dept. of Ag yourself. I was only passing along the information. If you choose to ignore it, that is your prerogative. How in the world can you interpret the bridal show policy as anyone not wanting to deal with home bakers? I would say quite the contrary and home bakers have been catered to and embraced. I was passing along the info to prevent any future problems for bakers because it has already occurred here in my city. ...
I personally called the Dept. of Ag and received the same response. The organizers had allowed a home baker to participate in the show. They contacted the Dept. of Ag a day after the show to clarify and were told that home bakers are not permitted to participate in bridal shows. Therefore, the organizers will no longer permit home bakers to participate. The Dept. of Ag stated that the intent of the law was for farmer's markets, not bridal shows. Also, due the the...
I'm not sure what caused it, but the wires did seem to help. Just make sure you use quality flowers and not grocery store flowers. When I used quality flowers from a good florist, the flowers looked good the following day.
There was some confusion at a recent bridal show in NE FL regarding home bakers being able to participate in bridal shows. The Dept of Ag was contacted by the show organizers and other vendors. The Dept of Ag stated that home bakers are not permitted to participate in bridal shows under the new food cottage law. Just wanted to pass along the important bit of information for future reference. The verbiage of the law has been vague at best, and this is one aspect that was...
When you say real flowers, are you referring to fresh flowers? If so, I've found the best way to put them into fake tiers is by cutting the stem and placing floral wire into it. Are you sing fondant for your icing? When I've used fresh flowers on a fondant covered fake cake, I've noticed that they wilt quicker for some reason. Somtimes they will weep onto the fondant causing the fondant to moisten and get sticky and gooey. It would definitely be easier to place them...
I use 1 teaspoon vanilla with 1 teaspoon wedding bouquet.
I'm not threatened at all. It's called "principal" and holding everyone to the same standards. Please do not read more into it than what is intended. I clearly stated my standpoint, and it has nothing to do with being threatened. There is enough business for everyone, and I network with many cake businesses. We refer clients back and forth. I am not one to be threatened by competition and am comfortable enough with my own business and its success. Again, it is about...