Posts by cakegrandma

Try baking your cakes a few days before they are needed, level and/or torte, then wrap well in plastic wrap.  Stick them into the freezer and take them out a couple days before to fill and ice.  Cakes need to sit so they can settle. You can even put a cookie sheet on the top of the cake (uniced of course) with can to give it some weight and this helps put everything in place.  It isn't wise to bake and ice the same day, and your icing was probably too thin to get it...
I do not use a center dowel on any of my cakes. As costumeczar said, the dowel does nothing for a cake as layers will shift if brakes are slammed on.  Exactly why I quit doing it!  Unfortunately, I had that happen to me.  Use the sps system and you will be very happy you got them and just add the cost to your cake. Of course, deliver a cold cake, in most cases by the time you get it delivered and set up it will be fairly warmer.  Also when you transport the cake, remember...
I second Americolor and their colors don't need al lot to color whatever.
All advise given is great and I agree with the not giving cakes for free. Believe me I have done that to get people to hopefully purchase my products.  Doesn't work, you will find that when you go into the establishment, after taking a free cake or 2, they will say "Oh, did you bring us a cake?"  They look for those free cakes and there is rarely a sale.   My only qualm with your question is " Do you have a license if you are wanting to sell to retail? I believe Illinois...
I think you are speaking of the board between the 2 cakes. If this is what you are, then you can us 2 or even 3 cake boards. If you use cake boards turn so all 2 or do not have the corrugation going the same direction.  I suggest get 1/4" for this and 1/2" for heavier cakes. All you have to do is cover the boards and also be sure you have enough dowels also, if I use an 8" cake going on top of a 10" inch cake.  I always use just a few less than the size of the cake. For an...
 Bilbo, you didn't even quote cai0311 correctly and you were the one that is rude.  We do not want anyone fighting on this board so please in the future...If you can'tsay something nice, keep your mouth shut.
Why not see if you  can contact the creator and see if she can help you.  Good luck!
Oh so glad you got the money! I have been checking my email for a notice that all is over and went well. In a way it sort of did, you got the money in hand prior to delivery even though it got down to the wire. I'm sorry everything wasn't ready when you got to the venue but that happens once in a great while, not really often though.  Do keep making wedding cakes as yours look wonderful. In the future I would not send anyone a copy of your drawings or photos as you did of...
I agree with Leah, why use expensive fondant, even if you do not care for the taste, on a dummy cake.
It does not have to be Jello brand instant pudding.  I use Wal-Mart brand as it is less expensive although I bake from scratch so I don't use either one.