Posts by cakegrandma

When you do her cake just remember. It will take just as much time to decorate the dummy cakes.  Most people either do not charge enough as they figure they are only dummies. That is true and even though you aren't baking cakes that size they are still a lot of work.  Also, most people will think there should be a great price decrease because they are only "fake". You may have to explain this to your friend or you can decide to give a "friend" discount of a percentage of...
I freeze the layers and then defrost one I want on bottom.  After I have iced or filled the bottom layer I put the frozen layer on top of it and leave it to defrost.  It doesn't take long for it to and then I trim edges to be the same if needed, then you can ice and decorate as usual.  This saves a lot of drinking, and stress on your end!   I have done them this way for years and have had no problems.  Glad we could help you.
As an answer to this thread and all the people who are told by an "expert" it can't be done or it needs to be done this way only.  The Lord must have loved a$$holes, cause there sure are a lot of them.
Lovelymeets, Inga1 and kin1182, rather than pay the price of the 3 pound containers of Hi-ratio shortening why not buy the 50lb box. Perhaps there is someone in your area that would be glad to go halves on a box. If not many of us slice it into blocks and put the extra blocks in the freezer. You will find that it does not take long to go through that 3 lbs and then you have to order again, shipping is a killer and did not look to see where you live hot weather will melt it...
A beautiful cake and although so many things happened all ended well.  I love the color and decorations and you are quite welcome for the small part I was able to play.
Thank you for correcting me and you are correct as it belongs to all mothers but, I was thinking of the writing on a cake would be for 1 person mainly, not a bunch. Thanks for straightening everything out.
I have done quite a few cakes that sit on a somewhat smaller stand.  I would say that your bottom board needs to be a sturdy base, like either wood or a base or something that will hold your cake flat at the bottom. If you still feel like it is a risk then do have her sign a waiver.  Good luck with your decision.
Another correction, it is Mother's not Mothers', a day belonging to mothers as there is not an S on mothers when implying a day belonging to them.
A quote from fandantslinger; ........just take a small piece of fondant roll it between both palms of your hands it will get elongated......lay it on your work surface & with both hands with even motion of both hands just roll it back & forth lengthwise slowly moving your hands & at the same time moving your hands down the length & away from your body outward - to the sides. (extending the sides out (hope that makes sense)you make it long this way & thin then just cut the...
After reading your post, I too say......Don't do it unless she agrees to pay for everything you need.   A few years back my parents were to have been married 50 years and my brother and sisters and I decided to throw them a party.  I shipped 5 boxes of items that I would need to make the cake.  I am one of those people that makes a list and of course adds to it the longer it sits.  I wrote a list of things I would need, spatulas, icing bags, tips and couplers. On and on,...