Posts by cakegrandma

I love the sketch you have and can hardly wait to see the finished cake. Good Luck evelyn
Your cake looks great!!! I hope that all wisdom that was imparted to you helped you out. In other words, we can say we were glad to help. evelyn
I always say that my memory loss, not being able to say what I wanted to is not due to my getting old. It is actually from the fact that I am so busy and trying to keep everything in my mind that needs to be done. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! evelyn
Thanks for the liks and how you did the bases in the holder. I wondered how it was done. evelyn
If you ask customers that smoke or wear perfumes to not to do so prior to coming into your establishment, I feel someone would raise a discrimination suit against you. I agree about smoke and strong perfumes, however, you are also telling the clientele that you do not want them in the establishment and that will get around and you will lose business. I agree that you should tell the prospective new worker that you have certain rules when you work and you could even give...
As another reply, to re-iterate all that has been said previously about collecting things that you don't need...When I first discovered ebay I bought pans, books and other cake items that caught my eye. Fast forward for 4 years and when we moved back to Fl 2 years ago, I had 6, 3 ft tall and about 24" square boxes of pans alone, mostly character pans, that I never used. Now this was not counting all the boxes of pans, etc that I did use. (I had a licensed business) Oh...
Make sure you have a strong board to support the cakes evenly. I usually get the thick foam board and cut it to the size I need to fit the cake and box. So I do not have any gap between the two cakes I set one down first and cut the long edge so I take any outside crust off and then lay the second cake on the board and do the same. I put icing down on the board under where both cakes will be so it will hold it them in place, just a swipe of icing with your knife is...
Any stand mixer may work to make the process easier, however they normally don't last as long as a KA. Why spend good money, even 90.00 on one and have it go out within a year or so when you could get a KA and have it so many more years. I actually have 3, the "bign" (6 qts) the 4.5 qts and a hand mixer.As far as the Sunbeams are concerned, I remember the one we had as I was growing up and thought when I started doing many cakes that I would get one like that. Wrong!!! ...
If you have a GFS anywhere near you they will order it for you but, it takes about 2 weeks for them to get it in the store. This is due to the fact that depending on when you order and when their next order is going in. They seem to have a fairly decent pricing and even though the block is 50# you can just leave it in the box, sealed well or pack it into containers and set it in the freezer as I do.evelyn
Unless you have already torted the cakes you will not be able to cut them frozen. Well you can however, it is very difficult and tends to tear the cake. Putting filling in while they are frozen tends to add more moisture to the filling as they defrost. I would let them thaw before working on them, this is my opinion anyway. evelyn