Posts by cakegrandma

A couple of years ago I made a 4 tier cheesecake wedding cake. I baked the cheesecakes in regular cake pans lined with foil for the 12" one and parchment paper for the smaller sizes. After they were baked I froze them and mounted them on foam board. I cut the size of the foam board to 1/4 inch larger than the cheesecake itself and I had 2 cheesecakes to a tier. I stacked 3 tiers up and then put pillars between the top layer to set the final tier higher. I left them...
I buy the 50 pound blocks also and I put mine into different sized plastic containers and then into the freezer. Of course I have a large extra freezer so it gives me the room to store the shortening in it. However like it was previously mentioned, you can store it in a cool dry place with great results. I love having it on hand as when I purchased in the smaller amount size I was forever running out of it. evelyn
An excellent place to get books at a great price is abedotcom. When you type it into your browser don't type the word dot just put one there after abe.evelyn
When I make anything from RKT's I always cover them in a coat of melted chocolate. You could use whatever color you may need and Merckens is a great product. If you just smooth it on your piece and let it dry I think it makes for a better base for your fondant to go on smoother.evelyn
You could bake a sugar cookie on a round cookie pan and bake your cake in a metal or glass bowl. Put this on top of the sugar cookie and cover in fondant or buttercream and decorate. There is a lot that you can do with this one. evelyn
To your first question of steaming - you only hold your flower over the steam just long enough for it to go all around it. This sets the dust so it does not brush off as easily if at all. Second question - I would use either gum glue or just a small amount of water. Either will work and I normally use water. If your drape is heavy you may want to hold it in position until the glue/water holds it how you want it.evelyn
I use parchment precut circles and I also use the 1/2 sheet cake size. I buy my spray from the restaurant supply and I spray the sides and bottoms well and after putting the paper down I spray it also. I too hate to cut the circles so I started buying the precut ones years ago. I love them to help keep the bottom in tact and also for the fact that if I have gotten busy with another task and the cakes have sat in the pan for an hour I can still get them out in 1 piece.evelyn
Your icing needs to be thin so that it will adhere to the sides of the cake. When you start icing be sure that the first amount of icing touches the cake and keep your tip at about a 45 degree angle to allow the icing to constantly touch the cake. If it falls off then it is too stiff and needs to be thinned a little. It may be a trial and error thing until you find the correct consistency. I actually think it is easier to set a large glob of icing on top, near the...
Whenever I make anything out of RKT's I buy the treats from the store. They seem to work better for me than making them and I compress them tightly together into a large ball and then model what I want. When it is completed I cover the shape in melted chips or the candy wafers like Merckens or Wilton. This seems to help to make the object smoother and stay together. You could put some on your stick and then also spread some around where the stick goes into the object. ...
Wilton has a product that is something like white, white or a whitener for icing. I have used it on a wedding cake that had crusting cream cheese icing and of course it was Ivory and all the other tiers has white buttercream. You can add this to the icing and it will come out white and I don't think you can taste it. Also some one on here mentioned she puts a tiny bit of purple in the icing to make it white. I hope this has helped you!evelyn