Posts by cakegrandma

A beautiful cake and although so many things happened all ended well.  I love the color and decorations and you are quite welcome for the small part I was able to play.
Thank you for correcting me and you are correct as it belongs to all mothers but, I was thinking of the writing on a cake would be for 1 person mainly, not a bunch. Thanks for straightening everything out.
I have done quite a few cakes that sit on a somewhat smaller stand.  I would say that your bottom board needs to be a sturdy base, like either wood or a base or something that will hold your cake flat at the bottom. If you still feel like it is a risk then do have her sign a waiver.  Good luck with your decision.
Another correction, it is Mother's not Mothers', a day belonging to mothers as there is not an S on mothers when implying a day belonging to them.
A quote from fandantslinger; ........just take a small piece of fondant roll it between both palms of your hands it will get elongated......lay it on your work surface & with both hands with even motion of both hands just roll it back & forth lengthwise slowly moving your hands & at the same time moving your hands down the length & away from your body outward - to the sides. (extending the sides out (hope that makes sense)you make it long this way & thin then just cut the...
After reading your post, I too say......Don't do it unless she agrees to pay for everything you need.   A few years back my parents were to have been married 50 years and my brother and sisters and I decided to throw them a party.  I shipped 5 boxes of items that I would need to make the cake.  I am one of those people that makes a list and of course adds to it the longer it sits.  I wrote a list of things I would need, spatulas, icing bags, tips and couplers. On and on,...
Try baking your cakes a few days before they are needed, level and/or torte, then wrap well in plastic wrap.  Stick them into the freezer and take them out a couple days before to fill and ice.  Cakes need to sit so they can settle. You can even put a cookie sheet on the top of the cake (uniced of course) with can to give it some weight and this helps put everything in place.  It isn't wise to bake and ice the same day, and your icing was probably too thin to get it...
I do not use a center dowel on any of my cakes. As costumeczar said, the dowel does nothing for a cake as layers will shift if brakes are slammed on.  Exactly why I quit doing it!  Unfortunately, I had that happen to me.  Use the sps system and you will be very happy you got them and just add the cost to your cake. Of course, deliver a cold cake, in most cases by the time you get it delivered and set up it will be fairly warmer.  Also when you transport the cake, remember...
I second Americolor and their colors don't need al lot to color whatever.
All advise given is great and I agree with the not giving cakes for free. Believe me I have done that to get people to hopefully purchase my products.  Doesn't work, you will find that when you go into the establishment, after taking a free cake or 2, they will say "Oh, did you bring us a cake?"  They look for those free cakes and there is rarely a sale.   My only qualm with your question is " Do you have a license if you are wanting to sell to retail? I believe Illinois...