Posts by cakegrandma

It sure sounds like it would be a great dessert. I looked at the recipe and the walnuts are crushed to take the place of flour and this is a dense cake.  I make gluten free cakes for my clients and they are dense but not like a brick.  Give it a try.
According to what you printed as your recipe I believe that your icing may have been too stiff to hold onto the sides of the cake. Next time try thinning it some and they should stay put.  Also like K8memphis states, use the box to deliver.
In your butter cream recipe you are only using 4 c (approx. 1 pound) of confectioners sugar to all that butter and shortening as well as so much milk.  Your perfect ration would be 8 cups p sugar or 2 pound, easier to weigh it out. You should also put about 1/4 tsp of salt to help with the sweetness and to make your icing in various stiffness, for the 2 lb. of sugar and to get stiff consistency you would put in 4 TBS and 2 tsp liquid. Then to get medium consistency you...
It was my pleasure. When I worked I typed some things in all Caps and I was told by my boss, she did proofing etc. for a large publishing company, not to do it.  She said people can not read it, WHAT, can't read it? I can but after so many years of following that so many others can't and that it is not an option unless I want to yell.  I hope I offended no one.
fondantslinger, I mean no offense but, please don't type in all capitals. The main reason being; it is very difficult to read, especially long replies. 2nd - in the world of the internet, it is considered yelling.  Again, please no offense.
The design idea on your cake is very cute, however, I feel that there are many errors on it.  One has already been mentioned, the bulge and it is very important to let your cake sit as stated so it can settle.  The other things I noticed are; the circles on the top of the cake are not really even as far as the diameter is concerned.  The balls at the bottom are not uniform.  The easies way to make them all the same size is to roll out fondant and cut circles that will be...
If you have a Gordon's Food Service store anywhere near, you can get Rich's Bettercreme there. They sell it by the quarts and when you whip it use your whip attachment and beat it until it holds a stiff peak and it whips up double of what you poured in.  Some say to use when it is frozen and just scoop some out, I find it tastes better when you can shake it up.  After whipping you can freeze what is not used and actual hold time is on one of the sides.  You may also find...
{For people like me, visual learners, I often take photos of the things that I'm trying out and paste them into my baking notebooks, so I'll remember easily next time.  A photo is worth a thousand words.}  As quoted from MBalaska.   Actually with the economy as it is today that photo is only worth 200 words.!     Thank you AZ for the tutorial, going to get it when I get on FB. 
I myself do not think your price is too high, considering you know what your competition charges.  It is a cute cake and I am glad she decided to go with you.   I would love to have the chart that was posted however, I can't copy it.  Will someone tell me what the chart is called so maybe I can find and copy it?   Thanks every one!
I found long ago to let my shortening mix really well and if I use regular salt that it needs to be dissolved in warm water, small amount of water. Table salt or Kosher salt have larger grains that can be difficult to dissolve and could leave white spots in your icing after it is colored.  I now use popcorn salt and let it dissolve in the shortening.  I don't sift my powdered sugar either, like Sha1Col says, too lazy!   I think if you can purchase some hi ratio shortening...