Posts by cakegrandma

quote from sockmonkey " I'm wondering whether a bacon crumble topping would work to make it a full-on Elvis inspired cake." Yes, sockmonkey you will have to do this and let us know! A donut shop here in Ft Myers is owned by a former DJ and he appeared on cupcake wars, lost at the last challenge but I digress. He makes the best maple iced donuts with bacon on them. Lordy, all this talk of banana cake, peanut butter and bacon makes my drool so bad I can hardly see my...
"For the crusting,it is a ratio of sugar to fat that determines the crusting ability, not butter to crisco. The more fat you have, the less it will crust. Also the more powder sugar you have the drier the icing."   I agree with the quote but, a question. Did you not take extra icing and tools to repair any boo boos? The cake should have been kept cold for a delivery that long and also the repair kit should have been right with it.  I can not think of ever delivering a...
Since I was on here a couple of weeks ago or so and saw the thread on Charlotte's Whipped Cream BC, I thought wow, I have to try this. 8 people at one function said the loved it so much, thought it was way better than AMBC. I took some left over cake to friends where I live and was told that it brought back sweet memories of their childhood.  I was told there was a bakery from when they were young that tasted exactly like the Charlotte's.  All said to not change my icing...
Thank you so much for the icing recipe virago.  It sound so dang goo and I can hardly wait to try it!
virago; last time I made it, I switched out the cream cheese frosting for a peanut butter/chocolate buttercream combo to fill and frost. DELICIOUS MMMM, that icing sounds wonderful, will you post the recipe please?   I don't know how this cake turns out with or without freezing but, I always freeze my cakes overnight. I love how it makes the texture and of course the .....ness of them.   
FrostedMoon, does that mean we can spit on our finger and smooth the tops down?  Just kidding of course. It reminded me of a gentleman I had in a Wilton class in Atlanta that kept licking his icing tip and I kept nicely trying to tell him that it should not be done. Finally after getting exasperated I just told him he should not get into the habit of doing this and he asked why, the cake was just for them.  I told him that if it becomes a habit then what if he is making a...
I would put the wafer paper on the cake as the last thing. Wafer paper sort of dissolves into the icing the longer it sits on it , it will even start to ripple if it is a photo on the top.   I would wait until the cake is ready to go, leaving time enough to put the wafer paper on.  It will hold up better this way.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmen !
I love banana cake and have searched also for a great, not good, recipe. I am so glad to see this and can hardly wait to try it.  Going to the store and get a large bunch of bananas so I can eat some and leave the ones I need for the cake to really ripen. Like MBAlaska, Quite often members come up with so much that really help to make a huge difference in stacking, decorating or taste. Thank you everyone.
I second thecakewitch's answer.  I always use the melted chocolate to smooth any rice krispie modeling.