Posts by tburkhalter

What a neat topic! I think all three must be great to make a great cake. It is terrible to bite into a beautifully decorated cake that is dry...what a disappointment! And who wants to eat a cake that looks terrible?
I'm with you on being nervous! I get a bad case of nerves before I start decorating and after it is set up... I just want my customer to be happy.
I'm from Waxahachie, TX, just South of Dallas.
These are so cute and expressive!
My son has a mild peanut allergy and has never had a problem with DH mix cakes or the wilton bc frosting. Just make sure you use butter or an oil with no peanuts or other nut oils listed as an ingredient.
I don't know the answer to this, but I am interested in other responses, so I'm giving you a bump!
Thanks for your help. It was a tiered cake (Mary's birthday cake in my photos) and the dowels were visible in the top layer only. On the bottom layer, I placed the dowels after the fondant, but obviously couldn't on top. I'll try using a denser cake next time.
I cut the dowels for my most recent cake a good 1/4 inch below the surface. But when I laid the fondant over the cake (rolled to about 1/8" thickness) the dowels started to poke through. Is the fondant so heavy that I need to cut the dowels shorter? What might I be doing wrong?
I'm doing a coconut cream cake. One of my favorites!
Wow, cakediva...the supermarket and bakery in my town both looked at me like I just grew a 3rd head when I asked to buy a cake box and then very rudely refused! rolling eyes and everything! I've been buying boxes at Hobby Lobby lately.