Posts by robinscakes

I cut out a bunch of heart shaped butter cookies for a customer and then she cancelled her order. It's not Valentine's Day and I don't know what I can do with them. Does anyone have an idea for how I can decorate them and sell them in my bakery instead of letting them go to waste? Thanks in advance.
I have an Icing Images printer that I bought a little over a year ago (Canon Pixma MP560). I had a ton of trouble with it at first: leaky cartridges, streaky prints, color was off. Was ready to throw it out the window. It took a while but I've got it under control now. The Icing Images people were helpful on the phone, and I think I bugged the crap out of them for a few weeks. I am happy with the quality of the prints now. Great color. It's slow to print, but that's...
I have a customer who would like a film strip around the border of her cake with edible image black and white photos in the strip. I've seen it done before but was wondering if someone could give me some information about how they have done it. I was thinking about placing the edible images in a black fondant cutout strip, but that would be kind of a pain in the butt to cut out (all those little squares...eesh!). Would the best bet be to create something in a program...
Leah, I usually do them all on Friday. I work a long day on Friday, though. I usually start at 8:00 a.m. and then work until about 5:00 a.m. on Saturday morning. So, there's plenty of time for settling. I do my other cakes around the tiered cake, giving it time to settle, time for icing to set up, flowers to dry, etc. I don't do a whole lot of tiered cakes, but they've all worked out this way. I just like to limit myself because I have other cakes to do and other...
I have two very detailed fondant-covered wedding cakes to do in one weekend this August. I usually only do one wedding cake per weekend, but I met with two brides who gave me their wedding dates and didn't book right away. I thought both were going to go with another baker since I didn't hear back from them in a while, and then of course they both booked within a few days of one another. Both cakes are fondant with no perishable fillings (no fruit) and I'd like to make...
Most magazines don't have page numbers on every page, but I agree with dalis4joe. It's soooo much nicer to have page numbers so you're not searching endlessly for a reference number to know if you need to skip forward or backward to find the page you're looking for.
Yes. I use the pearl shimmer by Bakery Craft. There is also one by Lucks. They have lots of colors besides the pearl, too. They all have the pearly effect but the base colors are all different.
I sent an email to Charm City Cakes and a few other places just because I know they use their airbrush ALL THE TIME! I got a form email back from the Ace of Cakes saying they couldn't answer my question because they get so many emails. I can understand that if you're asking them about a technique or something that requires more than 3 words to answer, but really....you couldn't just email me the name of the airbrush??? It was more time-consuming to pull up the form...
This just looks like a straight-forward air-brushed cake. The creator used a pearl shimmer airbrush color. Not sure what you mean by technique. Its pretty easy to do.
I just looked through the older posts and couldn't find anything about the best airbrush to buy. I've been through two already. One was super old and lasted a long time. I replaced it with a Bakery Craft airbrush which clogs very easily and likes to quit working for no particular reason. I have a good compressor, but I just want a good airbrush that will last more than a couple months. Can anyone help?