Posts by rwarren

Yowsa.  I want to know your secret.  it can't be coffee, that stuff puts me to sleep.   I am a slowpoke.  it takes me an hour to make one batch of icing.  Then again I mix stuff by hand.  Very Zen.  :)  One recipe of cake batter takes me half an hour to mix, another half hour to bake (give or take a few minutes).  never mind the decorating time, the washing up time, the time to find some kind of box or container for delivery.... I expect a deposit for anything over $20 --...
 The friend of the super-low-prices lady, selling in a different part of the city, was fined $2000 and had her food confiscated.  We don't know her personally, that's why I called it anecdotal.  The super-low-prices lady gave up baking for a few months because of that, but is back selling again. Some of the markets do ask for a license.  There is a "special events" permit of $33 per day per vendor, to accommodate one-off festivals and the like.  This is to the government,...
 So what becomes of the table fee we've already paid, and all the Christmas cookies and breads and fudge and everything else already baked and decorated?  I definitely don't want to go back to that flea market; I agree that this flea market is not the best showcase for what we do, what I want to do.  But we can't afford to rent at the kinds of places our target customers expect to shop: commercial establishments charging thousands of dollars per month.  Farmer's markets...
 See that's the kind of thing I thought would happen.  If we get one or two orders a year from our stall, that's a miracle.  We do have a nice tablecloth, trays, everything is wrapped and prices are visible.  This seems to turn people *off* (especially a humorous Don't Touch sign) and they prefer to buy from the lady who has everything in open bins, unwrapped, and super super cheap.  Like 25c for a cupcake, 50c for a Subway-style cookie.  (And she donates all her money to...
 Here you need a different set of permits to sell wholesale or retail.  It's considered a completely different business.  We also are not set up for the kind of packaging and labelling required for wholesale.  Items that are wrapped must have a full ingredient label, nutrition grid, and our home address.  You can imagine crowding all that on one single cupcake or cookie -- oh and don't forget it has to be in at least two languages. 
  Dear cake people,   After several years of attempting to sell baking at a flea market, we are seriously considering giving up these tables at the end of the year. We are selling less and less each month, bringing home more and more leftovers to live in our freezer, and later in our tummies.  It is terribly discouraging to spend days and days baking and decorating, lugging it on the bus and metro, and sell less than $100 during the day.  I am royally fed up of the...
Hi I hope it's not too late to add something.   We've found that taking an existing recipe and "converting" it with sugar substitutes produces mixed results.  Getting a recipe directly from the company (e.g. www.splenda.ca) turns out much nicer.   Sugar-free icing remains a huge challenge for me. I shall definitely bookmark Cakemom's recipe and keep looking for something shelf-stable.
 Nice pun :)  Actually I do bake from scratch.  The pricing formula in your blog was similar to the one described in the seminar, with much more detail particularly in the labor section.   No I didn't say the presenter was "wrong".  It was informative and eye-opening.  I'm saying that I get so few orders as it is, if I increase my prices to this level, I can expect no orders at all.  Most of my sales currently are at craft/art shows and church sales.  It is very...
I attended a pricing session at IBIE earlier this month. I had someone ask me about a cake today and I used this new (to me) price model: ingredients, labor, overhead, profit. The numbers I got out scare me to pieces.   For a half-sheet cake (serving 50) I come up with a price of $157.75 with delivery. I'm sorry but I can't see anyone here paying that kind of money for a cake. I've already had some unpleasant remarks when I increased my cupcake prices to $2 each.  
 My background is in I.T., and I've been out of work since last year. I've been wondering if I should make a living as a decorator. I inquired at one shop where there was a help wanted sign. I was discouraged to learn that I make more on EI doing nothing, than if I worked as an "assistant pastry chef" at the cupcake store. :( While I don't expect to make I.T. wages doing cakes, is it normal for salaries to be this low??