Posts by lrlt2000

The cartons of pasteurized egg whites also say they are not meant for meringues, but it works
traci_doodle: Couldn't you use pasteurized egg whites in a carton? I've started using those exclusively for my buttercream, for safety reasons.
I'm not sure about for cakes, but I **can't stand** that some jimmies that are more crunchy than soft. When I was little and we bought boxed cake mixes, I noticed the sprinkles that are used in that are the good softer sprinkles. I've stuck them in cupcakes before and they held up fine, and since they are already soft, they are not crunchy. I think all of Wilton's jimmies are soft (not like their confetti decorations--yuck!) I think it's only the Betty Crocker ones my...
I haven't used either either I would assume the roller would be better for doing larger area fondant whereas the mat is a finite area and would have to be matched up and repeated a number of times, depending on the amount of surface the pattern needs to cover. I would think that with the basket weave pattern, you would have to do a long rectangle to stick to the vertical walls or circumference of the cake (as opposed to draping it over). So, I think you could use either...
Ooops, just went back to look and found that one of the pictures didn't post!! Here is the finished one, head on:
Well, not only did I post pics of the flowers, but I also posted pics of my "makeshift" tools I posted a different question about mats because I do not have many flower-making items. The only mats I have are from my *one* veining mats set. So. . .My makeshift mats: backsides of veiners, a facial puff (brand new, but still covered tightly with plastic wrap)On the right is my first try, using fondant with Gum-Tex mixed in; on the left, is the middle of the first ones I...
Great advice so far. The only other thing I've done is to cut it in half for easier handling. After firming up in the freezer, placing each half on the bottom layer/BC is much easier to handle. I put a little BC along the cut as I place/push them together. If I have more than two layers, I place the third layer halves perpendicular to the ones below--it just makes me feel a little more secure that the thing won't split down the middle because I cut the layers in half GL!
Thank all for your prompt responses!!! I will post some pics of them once I get it right
Chellescakes: but are they edible then? Do they taste gross!?
I am trying to make fondant/gp carnations but I don't have any special foam mats. I have a veiner mat for leaves that seems to be a heavy rubber material--I guess I could use the backside, but I think this is too firm for balling petals, right?Anyone ever rig something that worked? I can't find a spare piece of packaging foam or anything, of course Then I can't think of what I would lay over it--I would think wax paper would crinkle with the pressure and mess up the...