Posts by lrlt2000

The problem I've had with just adding cocoa or melted chocolate to a white batter is that it's not a real dark chocolate cake then. For marble, I would think I'd want a nice dark chocolate to contrast with the white/yellow.    Anyway, I made two separate recipes yesterday. The chocolate one is SUPER SUPER thick--almost like brownie batter--and my white is really runny! I tried to thin the chocolate batter with buttermilk, but was afraid to add too much acidity, because...
I'm a home baker, and have never baked a "marble cake." So, naturally, I came to my learning mecca, CC! Well, I see there are some real debates going on between "experienced bakers" and "novice bakers" about the fact that marble cake is just a white/yellow/etc. recipe swirled in with a chocolate/fudge cake recipe and VOILA: MARBLE CAKE!   BUT I have an educated lay-baker's question: don't your cake recipes have to be of similar consistency and/or weight to bake together...
Was going to post this help, but found a few small batch fondant threads already here ;)   Here's what I did. I quartered the MMF recipe: 4oz mini marshmallows, 2 tsp. water, 8oz powdered sugar. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir until all marshmallows are melted.  Add 6-8oz powdered sugar, stirring in small amounts until too stiff to stir, then turning out onto kneading surface. Coat surface and hands well with shortening, and knead in small amounts of powdered sugar (I...
I'm looking for a blurb for clients to put on my website about why they should pay more for home-baked. Anyone have a link to one or have one they'd like to share (either for me to direct link, or just for my summary)?
That makes sense. Thanks!
I know it's usually gum paste that you want to add (or use strictly) when making thin items to place on top of a cake.  I need to make rowing oars, but I hate the taste of gum paste, so I generally just don't use unless it's necessary.     Would there be any benefit in this case to using modeling chocolate (homemade) or mixing it with fondant?  I'm not sure what characteristics of modeling chocolate make people want to use it or mix it with fondant...
Thank you! I also found this excerpt, which is helpful for understanding the chemistry of whipped ganache:   http://books.google.com/books?id=bQcxoepvxOwC&pg=PA125&lpg=PA125&dq=broken+chocolate+ganache&source=bl&ots=b-ICaCy-QP&sig=5dUl_n4CKTPgbgPNR-jXzg64qQc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ZryNUePAMJH68QS97oHoDg&ved=0CGoQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=broken%20chocolate%20ganache&f=false     Anyone else have experience??
I have posted before about whipped ganache, but did not ask this specific question and have not found an answer on the internet or here :)   I cannot seem to get this right! I use the 1:1 ratio, as is suggested in whipped ganache recipes, and let the melted ganache cool to room temp.  When I go to whip it, it just turns out grainy.  Does this mean it was too warm when I whipped or too cold? It was "pudding consistency" before I whipped, which is what I've read you...
One last link for others who might be looking for information too:   http://bigbaketheory.com/2012/02/24/ganache-101/   It's a great overview of ganache (including whipped ganache), with a little bit of science for understanding without being too technical, for beginners like me.  
Thank you to those who have posted something actually helpful.  We'll see how it all goes today!