Posts by rsaun

My husband is a professor of music and has applied for a position at Luther College, which is in Decorah, Iowa. I'm from Ohio, and live in the Columbus area, which is the capitol city. I'm thinking Decorah looks a lot smaller, but it does look like a lovely town from what I've seen (on the internet).
Thanks, Crimsicle...I felt that way, too, but wasn't sure what everyone else did. I remember my cake-decorating teacher saying to be sure that your dowels are food-safe and don't have pesticides on them, but I wasn't sure how to go about finding food-safe ones. I appreciate your help.
I was just getting ready to post about this topic and wonder if my question could be answered, too. I've never done any cake larger than a 3 tier, and the standard Wilton dowel rods are long enough for that. Well, this summer, I have two weddings with 4-tier cakes, and wondered, if my dowel rod isn't long enough, do you use two of them then, and make sure they meet in the center of a tier, or do you buy a long one (and if so, is it food safe?) from a hardware store or...
I struggle with this, too. I know I do great work, and I've priced other bakers in my area and some of them charge at least double what I do. I worried about raising my prices and running off my customers, but then my husband reminded me that when our landlord increases our rent, we don't move away, and when our grocery store increases the price of produce, we don't stop buying it, etc. I think with more experience, my work product gets that much better, and I should...
My husband may be transferred this summer to Northeast Iowa. I'm currently in Ohio, and am wondering if anyone can tell me about the laws in Iowa regarding home-based business, bakeries, etc. Thanks!
Bumping is when you don't have an answer, but you "bump" someone so the topic will show up on the home page as if someone's responded...I think.As for creme bouquet...I've never used it but want to try it. Do you put it in buttercream instead of vanilla and almond, etc.?
I don't know about silver, but I had someone who wanted metallic/pearly white buttercream, so I bought Wilton cake sparkles, ground them up super, super fine with a mortar and pestel, and mixed it into the buttercream. It worked for pearly white. It took a lot of sparkles, though, and probably wasn't the most efficient method. Hope that helps.
After I gave my "advice" on where to get the ribbon cutter, I started browsing on Off the Beaten Path again...and bought 18 more cutters...I can't wait to get them now.I have a question, too. Does anyone know where I can get one shaped like a pencil or bottle of glue? I want to put together a school bouquet for my sister's goddaughter who will be starting Kindergarten this year, and I have a school house, apple and scissors, but want some more school ones.
Nikki:I use "Off the Beaten Path" for all of my cookie cutters. They are great prices, fast service, and they have a great selection. They do have a ribbon cookie cutter on their website at www.cookiecutter.com. Click on cookie cutters and then popular and you should find it. It's only $0.99. But stock up on their other stuff while you're there, because they have a flat rate shipping up to a certain weight for only $4.75 or something like that. I just got 10 new...
I have never tried rolled buttercream, but have seen posts about it on here before. I have a HUGE wedding cookie order and would like to try it to cut back on my time base-icing each cookie by hand and then adding detail. So, what I would like to know, does anyone have advice as to which recipe to use? What tastes best? Does it color well (I'm doing tuxedo cookies so it will need to be black)? I think I understand how to make and roll it and cut out the shapes, but...