Posts by yortma

I would love to try GFS butter, but I could not find GFS in my area.  The European style butters are very "buttery" and I use them for sugar cookies, shortbread, etc where butter flavor is important.  For SMBC I have found that the brands that have only cream or milk as the ingredient work best.  I avoid added flavors and colors, trying to get the least buttery flavor, and the least yellow color. Crystal brand is my favorite, but it may be a local California brand.  Does...
The link you posted does look like a reasonable leveler.  The issue is with how sturdy and inflexible the set up is, which is hard to judge from a picture.  The less expensive levelers I tried bent and flexed and did not produce level cuts, especially if the cakes were a bit cold,  or denser like carrot cake.  I know you have heard it before, but the Agbay is so worth it if at all possible.  I probably spent half the price of the Agbay on  useless less expensive levelers...
For me, my regular recipes work just great for stacked cakes.  I don't typically use dense recipes.  The support system you choose to use takes the weight of the tiers above, so that each cake is not bearing more than its own weight. If it works as an individual single tier, it will work in a multi-tiered cake with proper supports.  HTH!
I don't know if this will provide what you are looking for, but I have purchased small lights for cakes from this company previously.  I have never used a bare light - always had it under or behind something.  For the big red light on top of a slot machine you might make a red isomalt "light" with the real  light glowing through from underneath, or carve out a red "dots" candy to put on top of the light?  Good Luck, sounds like a fun creative...
I would use 3 flower nails (or the Ateco heat core nails)  for a 14" cake - in a triangle configuration equally spaced out as much as possible.  I also  use  bake even strips around the outside of the pan so the outside edge doesn't cook too fast, and lower the  baking temperature.  HTH.  
Massa Grischuna neutral (from Albert Uster imports).
There are some great store bought gourmet type caramel sauces out there that I have used as well.  Here is the recipe that I like.  Decrease the cream to 1 - 1.5 cups if thicker desired, although it is fairly thick as written once it is cooled. (I usually cook it down for an extra 10 minutes or so).  It is really easy - don't even need to get out a thermometer.  Just have to allow time for cooling.         http://sugarywinzy.com/oh-so-delicious-creamy-caramel-sauce/
I love caramel buttercream. I use it with banana, chocolate,  almond, apple, and pumpkin cakes to name a few off the top of my head.  I have a very nice, easy caramel sauce recipe, (cream, sugar, butter, salt) and it can be made with less cream so it is thicker if it is for filling or frosting .  It doesn't affect the consistency of the smbc much at all. It is so good, and not too sweet.   Oh, and  some Godiva caramel liqueur to put it over the top!
There are lots of lemon cake recipes out there.  A simple but good lemon cake can be made as a variation of your favorite white cake.  Add some lemon zest and lemon oil (go easy on the oil it is strong) until you get it the taste you want.  I find lemon extract to be somewhat bitter and rarely use it.     This is my favorite raspberry filling - I am using it this morning on a white wedding cake.     http://www.cakeboss.com/Cake-Stuff/Recipes/Raspberry-Filling   good...
The idea is that the strips slow down the baking at the outer edges so that the outer edges will have more time to rise and end up higher than without the strips.   I put them at the bottom where it covers the most batter from the start. That always seems to be more than enough. Sometimes for extra deep  pans, such as topsy turvy pans, I have put 2 strips, one above the other.  I have seen discussions about making your own strips which could be made any width, but way too...