Posts by yortma

There are lots of lemon cake recipes out there.  A simple but good lemon cake can be made as a variation of your favorite white cake.  Add some lemon zest and lemon oil (go easy on the oil it is strong) until you get it the taste you want.  I find lemon extract to be somewhat bitter and rarely use it.     This is my favorite raspberry filling - I am using it this morning on a white wedding cake.     http://www.cakeboss.com/Cake-Stuff/Recipes/Raspberry-Filling   good...
The idea is that the strips slow down the baking at the outer edges so that the outer edges will have more time to rise and end up higher than without the strips.   I put them at the bottom where it covers the most batter from the start. That always seems to be more than enough. Sometimes for extra deep  pans, such as topsy turvy pans, I have put 2 strips, one above the other.  I have seen discussions about making your own strips which could be made any width, but way too...
I can't wait to try the chocolate version and see if it replaces the double chocolate cake as my favorite.  I bought Guittard cocoa rouge yesterday in anticipation.   
found it, thanks!
Dear Ms. Bratko,   I tried many white cake recipes over the years until you shared yours on cake central.  "A better white cake" is simply the best, and I have used it exclusively for several years now.  Thank you!  I know you get a tiny percentage of the profit, but the least I could do is purchase your recipe from ETSY in thanks, and also to check out the variations. It has saved me far more than 30$ in continued experimentation, not to mention inches on my hips.   I...
It has a rich deep chocolate taste and is a very dark chocolate color.  It is moist but just barely to the point of being fudgy.  It keeps a crumb.  i have never made a mud cake, so I can't tell you how it compares.  HTH
I agree. this is my favorite lemon curd recipe, and I, too eat it by the spoonful.  I up the sugar just a bit to 3/4 cup, and cook it an extra 20 minutes at 190 degrees (stirring constantly) to make it extra thick  It is made with yolks only, which may give it less of an eggy taste?.  I have never noted an eggy taste, but It has been so long since I made any other recipe, that I can't tell you if the egg whites make a difference or not.  Also, if you can get a hold of...
After much trial and error I discovered the double chocolate cake recipe from Epicurious. It has been my go to chocolate cake recipe ever since (with Hershey's special dark cocoa).  It is oil based.  I have used it many times both with SMBC and ganache under the fondant (massa grischuna).  HTH     http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Double-Chocolate-Layer-Cake-101275
This is a very nice raspberry filling.  Very flavorful, but also nice and thick.  Fresher and IMO better tasting than jam.  I always double the recipe and freeze any leftovers.  Can be added to buttercream as well.  (may wish to strain again to remove all seeds if adding to BC)       http://www.cakeboss.com/Cake-Stuff/Recipes/Raspberry-Filling           RASPBERRY FILLING   Source:  Cake Boss       Notes:  yield 1 cup                  keeps 1 week...
Inga, did you use regular Hershey's or Hershey's special dark cocoa in your comparison?    I use hershey's special dark with the double chocolate cake from epicurious and it is my favorite chocolate cake recipe.  But I will try ghirardelli cocoa next time based on your recommendations.  Thanks!