Posts by yortma

I tried The fool proof SMBC mentioned above, and it did work just fine.  It took a while to cool, and also took a while to come together after adding the butter.  i don't think it saves any time and may take longer to allow for cooling.  (Whipping the whites cools it fairly rapidly) but it saves an extra step. Also probably doesn't matter if a little yolk gets in the whites.  The final buttercream was a little less in volume than the traditional method, so there must be...
If chocolate goes with your cake flavor, consider buying chocolate fondant and adding your own col0r to make black.  Starting with chocolate it doesn't take nearly as much coloring. HTH
I agree, when it separates into sugar syrup and little lumps of butter, it is still too cold.    I have had great success mixing on low and  gently warming the mixing bowl with a blow dryer until it starts to come together.   
Wow, worth a try!  Thanks
Well I might just have to switch back!  thanks for the tip.
Just made a batch of IMBC and SMBC side by side with same ingredients ( 1.5 cups whites, 2.5 cups sugar, 1.5 lbs butter) except the IMBC had Cream of tartar added.  They made up to the same amount (about 10 cups each) and I could not taste any difference.  I still find SMBC to be a little neater, easier. and faster.  I admit I only whisk occasionally not constantly, and have never had any problems with the whites cooking.  (I bring it to 160 degrees ).  Right after adding...
I tried the chocolate version with Guittard cocoa rouge, and it is so good!  I have made it a half dozen times already.  I will only go back to the double chocolate cake if I want a denser, fudgier chocolate cake.  Thank you again Ms. Bratko!
Mine is 1.5 cups whites, 1.5 pounds unsalted butter (6 cubes) and 2 cups of sugar plus flavorings.  I store quart deli containers of unflavored SMBC in the freezer until needed.  I keep the cake in the refrigerator  during and after assembly  until an hour or two before serving (sometimes longer depending on circumstances) because I  want it to be softened when eaten. I usually don't refrigerate the cake if the SMBC is covered with fondant.  HTH
I used to use IMBC exclusively until I tried SMBC.  I find it is so much easier, and I think a bit safer without dealing with that hot messy sugar syrup.  The temperatures and timing are less critical with SMBC and easier to clean up IMO.   Also, I was never sure if those whites were getting hot enough to be truly pasteurized.  (Never had any problems though).  After doing it both ways many times, for me SMBC is simply easier.  Maybe I'll make a batch Of IMBC for fun and...
I have made smbc with carton whites and it works, but I don't find it tastes quite as fresh (and I heat them to 160 anyway). I prefer fresh whites whenever possible. But will use them in a pinch if it will be chocolate, or some other addition that has its own strong flavor. While heating the sugar and whites I have tested by touch while also using a thermometer to have a back up plan (thinking I might somewhere somehow find myself without a thermometer someday) and...