Posts by yortma

I have doubled this recipe many times without adjusting the ingredients (the all whites and also the chocolate version).  For me, doubling makes 3 perfect 9" layers, and my pans are 2" high. I double it far more often than not.  (The recipe as written makes 2 thin 8 or 9" layers).  I have never had any problems with this recipe and I have played with it a lot.  As mentioned above, make sure everything is room temp. and cream the full 80 seconds before continuing.  Any...
Jennifer Bratko's version of the chocolate cake is wonderful, as is the white cake.  I use Guittard cocoa rouge as she suggested.   It has replaced my prior favorite as my now go to chocolate cake recipe.  
This is my favorite orange cake recipe.  It is light and flavorful.       3 cups cake flour (12 oz) 2 1/2 tsps baking powder  1 tsp salt 1 cup (2 sticks, 8 oz) unsalted room temp butter 1 1/8 cup sugar 1/8 orange jello powder (can replace with sugar, but gives nice orange color to cake) 4 eggs 2 tsps finely grated orange zest 1/3 cup strained fresh orange juice 2/3 cup whole milk 1/4 tsp orange oil   Standard creaming technique:   cream butter, sugar jello....
If the original plan was to have 2 layers of cake, and one layer of filling, you could also torte the layers so you have 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling.  That will add extra height but spread the filling out more evenly.  As state above, you could also put this particular tier on extra cardboards, or on a foam core cakeboard, covered with frosting, fondant or decorations.
Not at all.  I have refigerated cookie dough for days, and frozen it even longer.  Just let it warm up a little until it is workable.  Refrigerate or freeze for a while after cutting out before baking to help them keep their shape better.  HTH
I would make a belly cake with stacked round cakes.  You can choose the the diameter you want, and stack graduated sizes to get the general shape (ie:  2 10", a 9" and 8" and 6"etc for a BIG belly!).  The stack is then  carved to a rounded shape.  I like this way because you have filling rather than just cake, and the baking is not problematic because it is made of regular rounds.  You can bake as far ahead as you like.  I virtually always freeze my cakes until the day...
Sure.  I do it all the time.  Just moisten the board a little so it will stick well.  I also recommend letting it dry for a few days. 
I don't see why it shouldn't work.   To be safe, mix just a small amount together first so you don't ruin the whole batch if it doesn't.  Sometimes it takes a bit of mixing before these things come together.  
Mocha mousse.  Add a little Kahlua for an extra flavor boost!   http://www.joyofbaking.com/ChocolateMousse.html
any particular flavor?