Posts by RobzC8kz

Howdy folks!! Been awhile since I've posted anything in the forums. I've been super busy lately and this is part of the reason!My episode of Food Network Challenge airs September 25th @ 8pm ET/PT and September 26th @ 3am ET/PT (for you vampires) on Food Network (check your local listings for channel information)!!!I'm the competitor with the orange jacket in kitchen 3 just in case you aren't sure! It was an amazing experience and hopefully it's not just a "once in a...
LOL! Thanks, Brian! And thanks for the well wishes! I'm a big fan of your work and I like that you're self-taught, like me, too! I'm pulling for you!!
I just made a couple of gallons of the stuff last night! I always refrigerate. Helps it set up and keeps it from spoiling. I do let everything come to room temp before using it though. I don't like any surprises!! If the cakes are going to settle when they warm up, I'd like to know right off the bat!
Bake a 1/2 sheet and cut the shape of the guitar out of it. You can make it any size you need that way. You don't need to spend the $$ on those pans to create the same effect! Make a cardboard stencil and you can use that forever! Good luck!
I've been doing cakes on a part-time and full-time basis, on and off for three years, I've never given out a free cake, and my phone keeps on ringin'! I have been on the recieving end of a "free sample" when I worked for a bakery. A lady came in to the shop to "give away" free cookies that she had decorated and wrapped. Along with the sample came a flyer, business card, and a request to allow her to put a display up on our counter for her to sell her cookies! I guess...
I just finished shooting the interview questions for my Food Network Challenge audition video. Finishing the rest of the video this week for the Jan 3rd deadline. I was going crazy trying to think of stuff to say, and of course, everyone was offering advice on what crazy antics I should perform to "stand out!" Brian is right. You have to be yourself. I watched a lot of FN audition videos on youtube before I started mine, and some were hard to watch. Too many people...
Luckily, I kept my "day job" during the whole process! They only wanted to have me there on a part-time basis as a contract employee, so I worked my day job and then worked nights at the bakery. So I'm not unemployed...thank GOD!! From a 3rd party perspective, I'd say the biggest mistakes they made were 1.) not working the business themselves - they hired multiple shifts of teenagers to work the shop instead of keeping that money "in-house" by being there themselves. ...
Well...after just 8 months in business, the bakery I worked for has closed. I would say that a combination of many errors contributed to its downfall. I am unable to cite one specific thing that was "THE" reason why it wasn't successful. But, I've learned many good lessons from this experience that, if I ever open a bakery of my own, I can draw from! As a result, I'm back to being a "Hobbyist" and just doing cakes from home for friends and family. I would say this to...
UPDATE! He picked up the practice cake was VERY satisfied with my work! However, after seeing his idea in the "cake," he wasn't very happy with what he had chosen. Soooooo... We reworked the cake into something that I suggested, and we are full steam ahead, all systems go! Whew!!
I'm waiting to see what he says. His 50% balance is due tomorrow on the wedding cake. Let's see if he tries to weasel out of it!