Posts by aizuodangao

Thanks so much for your advise. I am yet to open the fruit cake to have a look inside but you're right, it doesn't look as moist as homemade fruit cake; nevetheless just to be on the safe side, I will do 2 layers. Wow, I have never heard of vitamising the offcuts. Interesting. Thanks again.
Hi Lisa   Thank you so much for answer the rest of questions. Think i need a lot of luck doing this cake. LOL. ok. time to start on it soon. Thanks again
Wow, Lisa, thanks so much for clearing up many things for me. THink I have to look at Paul's video again. Yes, I definitely want to do panels soI can get the shapr edges. For the first layer of fondant, I assume it's better to cover the whole cake at one go, then panels in the 2nd layer? or is it better panels for both layers? if latter, would the juice from fruit cake oozes out onto both layers? how to I prevent this from happening?   Sorry for the many many questions my...
I am an aussie :-) When you say LCM, do you mean the small bars? If need a lot, the bars would be expensive to use. IS using rice bubbles according to a recipe to make kristpie treats the same thing? After seeing Cake Boss Buddy uses these on TV, I'd love to try it too.
2 more Questions which need answers please my cake friends   1) the top of the fruit cakes already has a 1cm layer of harden royal icing on it. Should I stack the cakes on top as is or get rid of the royal icing. I am not sure if the cakes on top will sink.   Also 2) Gray said to only use apricot glaze between the cakes, so what should I use to adhere the fondant to cake and also the 2nd layer of fondant to first layer of fondant?   Could I use white...
oh, thanks for the advice!! Looks like I have a lot to do on this cake. THis will be my first handbag cake, hope it will work out. Fingers cross
Thanks Gray for your very helpful tips :-) I can't use marzipan due to allergy reason, so I wonder if just one THICK layer of fondant would be just as good as a layer or marzipan + fondant.......?
Hi,   I have bought 3 commercially made loaf size fruit cakes which I am going to stack (one on top of another) , put dowels and then carve into handbag shape, crumb coat and apply FONDANT. I will have to start on this cake ASAP!!   I will be presenting this cake to my son's teacher wed next week 19th dec and it will be a early birthday cake (wont see after 19th due to school holiday) and I assume she will cut the cake on her actual birthday end of dec, so the...
thanks for both your advise and tips. I googled and found out that steaming gives it a WET SHINY look, which in my case, is not the effect I intend to have Otherwise, it would have been great, So, what I did was to wipe off the dust in areas which I am going to stick fondant pieces on top (part which wont be visible). The exposed area. I gently hold it vertically, and tap the excess dusts off. Then I dip alcohol on a sponge and gently sponge the area. When the surface is...
Hi,   Thanks for your reply, I have never done steaming before I am extremely nervous doing this. How far roughly do you have the iron away from fondant? How long do you leave the steam on for? Does it have a WET look once it's dry?   cheers