Posts by tugboat

I am trying to make a blue color not too dark but I used Wilton's Sky Blue color and I guess I put too much in it because it made a dark teal color...how to I lighten it up to a regular blue color?
I am not making a cake tonight but will be tomorrow. I need to make a wedding shower cake for a girl at my parent's church. She is fairly young (early 20's) and is getting married. I have no idea what kind of design to use...does anybody have any good ideas?? I will be start this tomorrow morning or so and I haven't made up my mind! Oh, her colors are light pink and green...I want something modern if possible.
I have a Gingerbread man themed tree! I've done it for about 3 years now and I still love it. I also decorate all over my house with Gingerbread/cookie decor. On my tree I have Gingerbread men ornaments and then I also took cookie cutters and tied them with raffia to hang on the tree! I have a Gingerbread tree topper as well as a GB tree skirt!
Has anyone ever not finished a cake for someone? Maybe because everything went wrong with it and you just couldn't fixed it? I am suppose to make a cake for a girl I work with (we are pretty good friends) it is for her guy friend whose birthday was last weekend. This was her gift to him. Everything went wrong with this cake...first of all it is a carved cake and is shaped like a Chinese (?) throwing star so it has like 8 points on this thing. Anyway my icing melted really...
My icing is melting off my cake! It is also causing my cake to sweat? It looks like brownish colored water coming off the cake! What do I do? I made a buttercream with butter and milk. At one point I put it in the freezer to harden up...was that a big mistake??
Can anyone help me??
that has several thin pieces to it. I am making a Chinese throwing star cake and it has 8 thin points to it and I need to know the best way to get in the corners of each point. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm afraid they are going to break...here is a pic of what I am trying to make...
I have always wanted to learn how to decorate cakes and I always thought it would be fun to make wedding cakes when I got older. On my husband's 29th birthday (3 yrs ago) I made him a guitar cake. It was my first cake to make and I did it even before I took cake classes (didn't even know what I was doing!!) but after making it, I really wanted to take classes! Several years ago, I wanted my BFF at the time to come with me to a Wilton class at Michaels to learn how, but she...
Cool! That is a neat idea!!
Yeah sort of...I am making myself a "belated" birthday cake. We have some family in town so I thought it would be a good time to make cake! My neice just wants to learn how to decorate cakes so I thought it would be fun for her to make and decorate her own cake!