Posts by southaustingirl

Instead of using 2 cups of regular sugar, I used 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar and the cake came out 'soggy' in the middle. It was baked, just kinda soggy in the middle. I was just wondering if this could have been a result of using the dark brown sugar. I had made a similar cake last week, but it wasn't quite as soggy.
I explained the situation to the bride's mom and she said that she understood but still upset that she would have no time to find another baker. I let her know as soon as I could that I wouldn't be able to make the cookies.If she did start looking around and found a bakery to make the cookies, I think she will be even more upset at how much more a 'real' bakery charges for their cookies. She was going to get a really good price from me.
If you go to the first post in this forum, there is a list of states that license home kitchens along with links to the health department for that state. Looks like in CO, a separate kitchen is required. Have you tried contacting the Colorado health department? Or maybe the county where you will be moving?We hope to relocate to the Denver area sometime in the next few years. I think CO is such a beautiful place!!!
I work for a non-profit organization and we get calls from people who are deaf/hearing impaired. So far, we have not received any that were 'scammers'.The person calling will identify themselves and says something along the lines of: Hello, this is Texas Relay operator #1234 calling. Have you ever received a relay call before?"They always ask if you have received a relay call before. I am not sure what is done in other states.Also, some people may not want to drive around,...
I seem to remember reading somehwere on this thread that KVUE or another local Austin station would be airing a story about the Food Cottage Law? Did this happen? I have been watching the news and have not seen anything.
Since you will be teaching the staff, I'd get more information about their skill level. Then desing my class to meet their needs. You may have to teach different classes based on the varying skill level of the staff. Are you limited to just one class that is 1-2 hours long? Can you teach more? For the classes that will be offered to the public, you might want to consider the Wilton class method.
With all the recent talk in Texas about how home bakers are operating an illegal business (pending the passage of a Food Cottage Law), I am really freaking out that the Health Department will be out in full force looking for people like me! I accepted a cookie order about 3 weeks ago for a wedding. It's 200 cookies for an April 18th wedding. Well, I emailed the mother of the bride today to let her know that I could not complete the order. Maybe I am just being toooo...
Thanks to everyone that showed up today! I wish I could have attended but I was traveling and I didn't get to send in my letter!! I am going to be optimistic and say, WHEN this bill passes, how soon after the effective date of 9-1-09 can we realistically expect the Health Department to have their policies and proceedures in place? Since there is not current Food Cottage law currently on the books, the health department is not going to having any policies. They will have to...
Is there a companion bill in the Senate? This might help moves things along. It has been my experience (our agency works with the legislature each session) that cities/counties cannot 'weaken' or over ride State law but they can definitely add more restrictions at the local level. For example, the State can require that all the cakes be either chocolate or vanilla. A city can then require that all cakes only be vanilla. You are still complying with the State law by making...
i was just wondering if anyone has read/heard about anyone opposing the bill.....like people that currently have a legal business? Will they also show up by the hundreds to oppose this bill?