Posts by smf-tls

I agree with all the other posts. I make MMF for everything except black and red, I purchase satin ice. I tried black and red once with the MMF and it was so hard to work with because of all the coloring I had to add. It was sticky and dry at the same time if that makes any sense!
I have only seen it and ordered it on-line.
Yes, the black cocoa powder will make a pitch black chocolate buttercream. Each year we have a pumpkin decorating party for my daughter and I always do a couple of different kinds of cupcakes. Given its Halloween I always need black and this is my go to solution for getting a nice pitch black without all that coloring. In fact, I need to get my order in for another bag of it for this years party asap!
Some of the cakes in the pictures are covered in chocolate fondant not buttercream. As far as the color of the buttercream I think it would depend on your cocoa. King Arthur flour sells a nice black cocoa powder that can be combined with a dutch cocoa powder to achieve the color brown you would like. Actually whenever I need large quantities of black icing, especially at Halloween I just use the black cocoa powder instead of black food coloring. You would only need a...
Thanks so much to everyone for your opinions and advice. I am going for it and am actually now really excited about this cake!
I am making a 40th anniversary cake for my neighbors this weekend and since the color for a 40th is red we decided to put red roses on it. Well, they love chocolate and really want it frosted in chocolate buttercream and asked me if I thought it would look okay with the red roses. I am torn. I have been standing here for an hour staring at a piece of my red MMF holding it up to some brown trying to decide. At first I thought maybe it would look too dark but now I am...
Thanks so much for your responses and good advice. I like the idea of looking into a breakfast place that may be able to rent some kitchen space - good thinking.
Not sure what to do at this point, or if I even have any options. I was looking into starting a business in CT selling cakes, cupcakes and cookies. I initially wanted to start out of my house and hopefully all waould go well and get a location someday. Just got off the phone with the licensing department and am disappointed to hear that the state of CT will not license a home kitchen. Not sure what to do because financially we are just not ready to spend alot of money...
Any advice/tips would be appreciated. I have been running into a problem with my writing tips clogging when trying to outline my cookies with royal icing. I have tried everything - taking a pin and pushing through tip to make sure its not clogged, taking tip off and washing in hot water. Its making me nuts. To the point where I have been bypassing the tips all together and just snipping the end of pastry bag! problem is that doing this it isn't a perfectly round hole...