Posts by Starkie

AKS, I bought a printer cord at Wal-Mart for $15 ~ it has one flat end and one box end, so you can hook the Cricut up to a laptop. Juniecakes, I would ABSOLUTELY recommend Make The Cut software instead of buying any more cartridges. I tried it out and it works GREAT. There are even some online tutorials for the software use with Cricut. I haven't tried making cuts in gumpaste yet ~ hopefully tomorrow. I ordered Linda McClure's DVD, and I'm looking forward to seeing...
You could simply tell anyone who calls, "This weekend may be booked up already, I will have to check my calendar ~ how large of a cake are you looking for?" If they tell you 9", check you calendar and "realize" that you are booked up! That way, no one gets their feelings hurt, you don't have to slot in the 9" cake, and everyone things you are very, very busy and worth every penny!
I have to tell you that, as a part-time baker, I have stressed myself out to the point where I am taking a 6-month "cake break" to relieve some stress and refocus. The teachers and parents at the school my kids attend are not happy about this, and I have turned down about 4 weddings and dozens of birthday cakes in the past month. But I am glad I am taking this time to relax, hone some skills, and learn new ones (just bought a Cricut yesterday...). I believe I will come...
Jennifer, that is beautiful! Can I ask you ~ how long and how much practice did it take you to become proficient at using the Cricut for cakes? And do you feel that you can offer your customers just about anything now that you have your modified Cricut working in your kitchen? I'd love to hear the "business" side of what the Cricut can do for you! Thanks so much!
Thanks for the tip, lecrn! I need to get a cord to hook up my Cricut to my laptop so I can use the Make The Cut software, and also get a deep cut blade and housing. Hopefully I will be cutting fondant and gumpaste by the end of the week!
Just bought my Cricut Create at Big Lots! I got there an hour early (online opening time was wrong!), but that's a good thing, since I got the first of only 4 machines that they had at $99!!! Wish me luck!!!
I have decided to buy the Cricut Create tomorrow at Big Lots for $99, and also buy the Make The Cut software ~ one sale until tomorrow for $58.48. I figure between not have to purchase tappit letters anymore (that are never the right size for the project I'm working on) and not having to buy cupcake wrappers, I will make my money back very, very quickly! I'm also excited about being able to create my own wall stencils instead of being limited to the silly sayings they...
I've made 2 topsy turvey cakes, and I am planning on making another one next week. The one thing I can tell you ~ it is VERY important to chill your cakes thoroughly. I didn't do that to the last one I made, and it ended up falling apart on the edges. (I also made the angle a little too steep...). I had dowels supporting the middle as well as the top tier, and one long dowel going through the whole thing. As for how much cake, you kind of have to eyeball it. A 6-7-8,...
I've purchased a few stencils from Deisgner Stencils (http://www.designerstencils.com). They are food safe, and you can use them with RI or BC. They take some getting used to, and you have to have the consistency of your icing just right, but you can get a wonderful effect if you practice! HTH!
I made two baseball hat cakes (UNC & NC State ~ in my photos) for a charity auction, and they sat out so that people could take a look. I had enough forethought to put up a large sign that said "CAKE - PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH!!!" Obviously, UNC fans cannot read very well, because one gentleman actually ruined the UNC cake by trying to pick it up by the "bill" and try it on his head! Needless to say, those hats didn't bring in a lot of money for the auction... What are...