Posts by cruizze

It's simple. You just have to make sure your gumpaste or fondant is moist enough to adhere the the image. I just did one for my latest cake. I moistened the area with a tiny bit of water (just damp) and placed it on the fondant. Those images will stick to any tacky/moist surface. I use them for work and it doesn't take much water to melt the image sheets. Once the sheet is in place you don't have too much time fro adjustments the sheets absorb moisture quickly and...
I going to have to go against the grain on this topic. I think looks come before taste. For me personally I will only eat something that looks appealing to me. If the cake has an undesirable appearance then I am likely not to want to eat it. I'll be honest and say that I have had some bad tasting but great looking cakes. Mostly because they have ingredients that I find "yucky" like cream cheese or coconut. No matter what I thought about the taste the cake was still...
It's cartoon character cakes
Hat's off to all the creators. The show was the best they have done in a long while. When I saw the comercial for the show and saw that Ursela was going to be done in cake I was very excited. Then I saw Bronwen's cake without the tentacles sticking out I was very let down. She did an excellent job scupting her out of fondant and I thought her color was fine but she didn't capture the whole character. She's an octopus and that was lost on her finished cake.
I agree with Meldancer. The more you think about it the harder it is. You just have to relax and just do it. I use both hands. The right with the tip and the left hold the rest of the bag and steadies the movement, working in unisonwith each other. When I train new staff I give then a piece of parchment and I tellt hem to do it over and over. Scrape it off and redo it. When it comes to writing with a piping bag it's all about practice. When a newbie has a spare...
I think it's for the flowers. The wire would just tear the cake, especially if you weigh it down with things dangling from the wire.
Also keep in mind that when you place the image on top of the black frosting that has been dampened it may leech the color. By misting the top you are soften the crusting that has formed. What we do, when working with dark colors, is to apply a thin layer of white BC to the back of the image and then place it on top of the cake. This create barrier between the dark color and image. We usually put a border around the edge so it hides andy imperfections. Good luck.
Rich's Bettercreme is also a non-dairy whipped frosting. It comes prewhipped or unwhipped. I use it in the bakery I work in. It has a nice light taste. I don't know of any retailers who sell it to the public.
I agree with Vixterfsu. The butter and the lighting are key to true white. When I want to check a color I take it to a window or outside to get the frosting/fondant's true shade. My kitchen bulbs give off a yellow hue. I keep meaning to change them out to soft white energy saving bulbs. You could always check your butter against a piece of white paper before you start your frosting to see if the butter has a yellow shade to it. Good Luck.
Aug. 17: "Ace of Cakes" series premiere, 10:30 p.m., Food Network. here is the link to a small show bio.http://foodnetworkadsales.com/programming/programming_show.asp?cat=4&id=181