Posts by Joshsmom

Since we have soooo many talented people on this site I would like to ask for your thoughts and opinions..........   I've been asked to think about doing wedding favors for a person I work with.  What they are looking at is Bride and Groom pretzel rods (1 set per package) for wedding favors.  The bride is a piece of cake but the groom became one chocolate mess in my kitchen over the weekend as I attempted to make these tuxedos.  I've attached a picture so you all can...
My topsy turvy cake has to be sliding as the bottom and middle are cracking. I have skewers and the wilton plastic dowels in. The second is actually on a plastic plate as I thought this would be stronger. I'm scared to transport without giving it more stability - HELP(My son's b'day cake) Trying to attach a pic but its too big so will keep trying
I rarely have to cut the domes on my cakes anymore ...... a tip I learned a long time ago here on CCWhen you take your cake out of the oven I set a clean cotton weave towel over my pan and take something heavy (I use my big ham wooden board) and set that on top of the towel. Make sure the heavy object you use extends over the entire cake pan. You want just enough pressure to smoosh the dome down.I leave that on for 5 min or so and then take off the object and towel and...
What is the best way to cut a topsy turvy cake for serving? I'll be using 10, 8 and 6 in round. Depending on the way it should be cut will determine what flavor each layer will become.Thanks a bunch!
I don't know that royal icing would be thick enough to cover all the bumps and crevices in rice krispies to make it smooth, I mostly use RI for cookies, I would try fondant as you can make it a little thicker. JMO but maybe someone else has had luck with something different
CONGRATULATIONS!
I guess I worried way too much as they LOVED it and didn't bat an eyelash or notice one thing wrong.Thank you EVERYONE for giving me back some confidence.Between my preschool graduation cake and this TP cake I got asked to do my first WEDDING CAKE I don't know that I'm ready for that...........but maybe I'll give it a try.
Thanks everyone for the vote of confidence, I have to deliver it at 8:30 this am so I'm quite nervous about it.Maybe I'll just not say anything and see what reaction I get then I can go from there, though I'm always the one to start point out flaws DH is always critiquing so I never know where I stand ~I know he's trying to be helpful but most of the time I just want him to butt out
I just posted a toilet paper cake in the forums for a paying customer that I'm just not happy with. I was going to charge$50 but now think that is too much as I had all sorts of problems with the filling bulging so my toilet paper looks like a roll that got all wet and puffed out.I don't work with fondant much ~ 1st mistake trying this out on a customer (though it is a repeat customer - both buyer and receiver of the cake). The molded figure is also a first attempt...
Its not too often I have a couple cakes due at the same time BUT I have 2 due tomorrow What I did was make all my fondant pieces last Friday and Sat to give time to try.Baked all cakes last Sunday - wrapped after completely cooled in saran wrap then foil then marked what was what.Made fillings Tuesday & refrigerated.Took out the layers needed for cake 1 Wed am so when I got home from work - cakes were thawed and ready for icing and decorating.The other cake due Friday I...