Posts by patty7276

i was using the wrong term--i plan to carve the cake down so it is bigger on top than on the bottom. so my question is, if i want three carved tiers, what sizes do they have to be to have enough servings. 12, 9, 6 or 12,10,8? to get the whimsical effect would i carve a 12 inch down to 11 or 10 at the bottom? sorry for the confusion
can anyone tell me what size tiers i need to serve 50-60 people, three round tiers, but am planning to carve down the sides(which i've never done before). not sure how to estimate this. was thinking i'd carve down 2 inches from top to bottom. if i carve less than that will i still get that whimsical effect? thank you
have been asked to do a 50th birthday cake in black, white, silver and hot pink. have tried every pink in my color box and none look good. they are either too "barbie" for a 50 year old's cake, or just hideous. part of the problem is that i simply don't like hot pink. so, am hoping you will share what color shades you use/like best when working with hot pink. thank you in advance!
can't refrigerate. might try the suggestion of mixing homemade buttercream with canned cream cheese for a filling
can't refrigerate. might try the suggestion of mixing homemade buttercream with canned cream cheese for a filling
thank you so much. would white chocolate ganache be good with red velvet? haven't eaten much red velvet, not sure
ok, need some help. i always use the wasc recipe for my cakes. i have a request for a red velvet cake, which i've never done. so my questions are: do they make a red velvet mix? if so, does it work well with the wasc recipe? also, will be covering with fondant--does it hold up well under fondant? and finally, don't want to use a cream cheese icing (can't refrigerate). what do you think of bc with red velvet?thank you, bakers, looking forward to your advice!
thanks, all. will try adding some sugar, and beating longer. thank you very much!
Working on a cake now. Just made, for the first time, Sharon Zambitos buttercream icing. Used half sweetex, half butter. Followed instructions. Icing is not smooth--looks kind of "curdly" and seems awfully soft. Have never used sweetex before. Tried adding a little more sugar-no real change. Anyone ever had this happen? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
I'd like to make a fondant wrap of wide, deep waves around the base of a cake. don't know what to use to cut the waves. the frill cutters i've seen are too small. don't think i can free hand it evenly. any ideas?