Posts by ladyonzlake

I know this is years later but it may help someone else.  I have made the soccer ball cake and torted and fill.  I place a cake board in the center and dowel for support.  I also cut the bottom so that it sits flat.  I only fill it with buttercream...no preserves.  I hope this helps.
oops I meant I added Tylose to make gum paste.  You don't have to add the tylose if you're laying it flat on the cupcake.
I'm not sure if your questions was answered Sweetgarden.  What I have done is rolled out some fondant with gum paste and cut out disks using a circle cutter.  Let them dry, and then add your edible logo image to the disk.  Place on your cupcake and you won't have soggy logo's.
I don't ask for their budget but I state what my prices "start" at.  If in their description it seems like a small cake then what I say is "I'd be happy to do your cake and I am available for your date.  My cakes start at $150.00 and $4.50 per serving.  Prices increase from there depending on design and flavors chosen".  This way they can determine if you're in their price range.
Hi Rosie2,     If you can get through all of the paper work for the cottage law this would be the least expensive way to go and figure out if you want to pursue this on a more serious level.  The cost for a health permit (in King County) is about $600.00 for renting  commercial kitchen and then there's the cost of the kitchen.  I also have liability insurance which I will keep regardless of which way I go.   I participated in a bridal show at a local venue recently...
I've been working on my ingredient labels and recipes...this is such a daunting task.  I've been working on it for a couple of months now...there's just so many varibles with cakes.  I've been renting a commercial kitchen and getting licensed was soooo easy although it's a more expensive way to go.   I just wish it wasn't so complicated!
I just about fell out of my chair when I saw her price for that very detailed cake was only $75.00!!!  I can't wait to see her response on the price you quoted her 
I love QB...it even tracks your inventory!
Yes, I agree with the other posters.  You need to screen your potential clients better.  I too always ask about venue, servings, design and budget.  I'm very up front with them about my price per serving.  I never book a tasting until they have a venue picked out.  This does two things for me...shows me they're serious and it allows me to price out delivery at the tasting so they have a total estimate.   It sounds like you offer too much cake for your tasting....
I sub shortening in my IMBC all of the time.  I don't care for the taste of all of that butter but I love the texture of it.  I use 1lb of butter to 8oz of high ratio shortening.  Love it!  It also is more "white" in color.