Posts by PSLCakeLady

Having someone help you would be great. You can roll it up, stand it straight up and as one person applies the fondant, the other person leads with unrolling it.
Too funny Cathy probably isn't even a lady. A guy contacted me about his wedding. Guess he got a clue that mostly women order cakes for weddings and not men. Not to mention the Bozzo could not even write a decent email. I told him "nice try!" Never heard from him again. Maybe it will be Cathy next time. >/
I used to have a store front and would have sugar free and regular stuff. Quite frankly, given the economy I dont' think a full on sugar-free bakery would be a hit. Sure you'd get business but my sugar free line to regular you just could not compare. Yes, there is a market for sugar free but you cannot depend solely on that. There was a business here where I am that tried it and it flopped. Please forgive me, I don't want to shoot your dream down, that's not my...
Satin Ice works great actually. The biggest point is to knead it very well and also do not let it dry out, this is what causes that elephant skin/cracking look to it. If you have a few minutes of lag time between when roll it out and put it on your cake, just cover with plastic wrap once you roll out and do what you need to do then just peel back and you are ready to go. If you knead it sufficiently it really is pretty pliable. Wilton is ok for a back up plan but quite...
Just pop those babies in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Brings em' back and beautiful because the ice crystals melt and add moisture. Then crumb coat. Just a little something I do when I can't wait. I have iced somewhat frozen too.
No, don't do that. You have your pot with the hot sugar mix and have some cold water pooling in your sink ready when you need it. Just dunk the very bottom of the pan in the water, just enough to allow the cold water to "shock" the hot pan to stop the cooking process.ONE MORE MAJORLY IMPORTANT THING: I don't know why Keegan said it was an ice tray because it was not. If you use a good ole' ice tray it will melt and make a heaping mess and you do not want to touch the...
I just so happened to hear Duff talk about it on one of his episodes....He said it doesn't get tried out like fondant? Maybe it's a fondant/GP mix?
Wilton has silicon brownie trays that will do the trick. You have to boil the isomalt with 10 percent water, brush down the sides with water, do not stir. using a thermometer, the sugar has to come to a certain temperature, then you swirl in your food color which will bring the temperature back down slightly. Once it comes back up to temperature, quickly take it off the heat and shock the bottom of the pan in cold water to stop the cooking. You can then pour into the...
You know it's funny I have a friend locally who said our zoning gave conflicting stories. One said if you are residential, the stipulation is that you can't advertise the address etc and of course the entry ways to the home was a potential issue but fixable. I called and asked (maybe just my county?) and they said as long as it's ok with Dept. Ag. it's fine with them....who knows the person probably was not correct. My girlfriend on the other hand was told it was not a...
The best way to practice is to start to learn to make your own fondant. The price comparison to the stores is crazy as it really is relatively inexpensive to make. Try and by a stryrofoam dummy cake and you can cover it and decorate it as you want. If you like it, you can keep it for a display cake or you can just keep reusing the dummy to practice your fondant work. Have fun with it, once you learn what works and doesn't it seems to be endless. Gumpaste is really...