Posts by DeniseNH

Or, you can do what this Yankee (me) did.  Go out back with a can of Pam spray and a huge fist full of magic molding compound.  Spray the heck out of an area on a rough bark tree, slap the molding medium on and wait a half hour.  Run outside and rip it off before your husband sees what you're doing, wash the mold thoroughly and use.........worked for me.   And in the original photo, I totally agree that a mold was used on the bottom tier but not on the top two.  Looks like...
I've done clouds by placing a blob of icing on the end of a butter knife and applying that way.  There's really no way you can mess up a cloud because no two clouds are the same.  So just have fun.
I was building a vision in my head as I read it.  I would make the base color of the bottom cake a lime green color with hot pink chevrons.  Then reverse it for the top tier making it hot pink with lime green monogram.  Flowers on the top - slightly off center and cascading just a bit down the side.  And another grouping of flowers on the top of the first tier (opposite from he cascade on top).  I've forgotten what the infinity sign looks like but can you incorporate it on...
Thank you Mimifix.   Sometimes you can lead a horse to water but................well you know the rest.  :-)
Add more flour to your cupcakes and they won't look like mushrooms.  3/4ths of a cup extra should do it.  A little trick I learned over the years.  Also it sounds like you're filling your cups too full.  And the reason why they can't tell you how many cups of powdered sugar to use (exactly) is because different manufacturers of powdered sugar add differing amounts of  corn starch to their bags to prevent clumping and depending on where you live, you may need one cup less...
I color my own for light to medium colors but buy red, black and purple in the deeper shades.
YES by all means get an Agbay.  It's the only tool you'll use on ALL your cakes besides your mixer.  So in love with mine.
I sent my husband down back with a chainsaw and ended up with four.  In the process I discovered that there's a lot more to it than meets the eye.  Freshly cut wood needs to season  - SLOWLY - and I'm talking years - in the garage - not the house - or it will split - and split badly.  We even tried drilling a large hole in the center to ease the stress but it still split.  So I just put the split in the back of the cake table.  There is a place on line where you can buy...
Oh man, you are SO ready to sell cakes.  That can't be your second one!  As you've seen on millions of posts, we can't give you an estimate on how much to charge for a cake because it varies from location to location.  In New Hampshire - the southern part I could charge $50 for your cake but cake club members in the northern part of my state might only get $35.  Which means that if you spent three hours just decorating it - not taking into account going to the store to buy...
Wilton has a great non-taste red that I purchase.  But I don't understand the posters comment about Wilton colors making her fondant streaky after a couple days.  Try this.  Add the color to a small ball of fondant then when it's blended in, add the colored ball to your fondant.  I wish SugarFlair was available over here - I'd buy all their colors.  Just ordered a dark purple from the UK and it's so wonderful - a lot more solid than American pastes.  CK is good and so...