Posts by DeniseNH

Three thoughts.  1.) knead in extra powdered sugar to make it sturdier 2. Or knead in some CMC, Tylose powder to make it stiffer and 3.) roll it out on a mat that's been covered in Crisco.  This eliminates the need for steaming the fondant afterwards to get rid of extra powdered sugar.  I buy black and red and purple too (Duff's), then use it as is or add it to my own MMF to help boost the color.
It really was a nightmare and I know she'll be contacting me soon asking why I haven't gotten back to her.  I've practiced what I'm going to say.  "It's too early - you haven't booked your venue yet so you don't have a date, and you want "bling" while the father of your children insists his heart is set on a birch bark design.  My husband just kept laughing after they left because he just couldn't believe it................... I took two Advil.  Sheesh!
What NOT to say to a baker:  In large type at the top of my consultation form it reads:  Please do not bring children with you to the consultation.  They don't like to sit still.  If a babysitter can't be found, we can rebook the appointment.  So in walks a woman with false eyelashes so thick I kept thinking of big black caterpillars and  couldn't look her in the eyes.  She had three children with her under 5 and said the sitter bailed.  The kids screamed, ran around and...
Take care of getting it to the venue in one piece.   Refrigerate before delivery.  What happens to it after it sits out in heat ........................???????  Brides know that heat and fancy desserts don't mix and they're taking a chance.  Are you covering it with fondant (I hope).  .You have two choices.  sweating and melting.  I'd choose sweating any day of the week.    You see more melted cakes on Cake Wrecks than shiny cakes.  The fridge is our friend.
She said "with all this waste, don't be surprised if you catch your caterer and his crew nibbling on it when you enter the kitchen".  Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!
IF it has to be edible the only gumpaste recipe I'd use is from Linda McClure, the creator of the Silhouette for Cakes Machine.  You can roll it extra thin to make it light and then I wouldn't apply it until the cake was in place at the venue.
Does the fan HAVE to be edible?  Why not make it out of double sided gold paper and edge with royal.  There's nothing lighter than paper and less heart problems during delivery if it topples over.
There's quite a learning curve that I didn't have time for.  Made a series of cuts for a cake for a show then never touched it again.  Gathering Dust.  I keep saying I'll get into it some day but that day never comes.  The one thing that bothers me about it is that the designs are flat.  When Sugar Lace or Sugar Dress came out, it caught my eye since all of the lace has dimension.  I love the concept of the Silhouette but don't have the time to play with it and lost...
Sorry, everyone is so darn busy.  If the crown is nice and dry it will be fine in the fridge over night.  I put gumpaste flowers in there on the cake all the time.
You KNOW you're a cake decorator when your septic system fails due to excess grease and you try to blame it on your husbands lunchtime burgers instead of thousands of egg yolks and buttercream.   $20,000 to replace.  If you  have a compost pile, fill IT with the above and save yourself a lot of    $$$$$.   :-(