Posts by DeniseNH

If you have an online "Free Cycle" in your area you can put out a notice for one and might luck out.  Otherwise I would try eBay or family, friends and neighbors.
I love the idea of the embalming fluid...................that idea can be dressed up to be a lot more partyish than a casket.  Like a large martini glass filled with liquid - sign attached saying embalming fluid then a cake with the usual graduation hat (in black of course).
Yes, try the flour it really does help.
Here's a quick tip.  When Crisco changed their recipe we all complained.  On their site they published a quick fix.  Add a couple heaping tablespoons full of plain old flour.  This seems to work very well.
We all commented truthfully (I did) - but don't forget she didn't ask for comments - she was so relieved that her first wedding cake was over  -  she felt comfortable sharing it with us.  If she was ashamed of it (which she has no reason to be), she probably would have asked us how to improve the next time.  But she didn't.  She didn't. 
Now you got it.  Constructive point by point helpful comments.  Not at all Snarky.  That's what this site is about and the reason it's the go to place for valid questions.  Building us up, helping out, consoling and applauding. 
That's ok, we all have blond moments.  :-)
But even she started out as a newbie in the beginning and learned as she progressed.
Dear SnarkyBaker, I can't believe you would say something that hurtful in a public forum like this.  That cake is perfect and I couldn't believe it was her first.  I've seen a lot of funky cakes from people who have been in business for years.  I want to compliment her on the purple highlights as well.  In fact I'm going to go look at your cakes and see if you live up to MY expectations. 
Thanks, made me laugh.  My bet will be 5 out of 8.  It is winding down, but not fast enough.  Neither is birch bark.  Here's one from yesterdays wedding.  The Groom made the birch bark display in the background which will eventually hold pastries.  The cake has both molded and stenciled ferns.  No I didn't make the chairs.  I do have a mold for them but this couple wanted the wood grain showing/natural look.   Good luck today and let us know if I was right.  :-)