Posts by DeniseNH

They must have cut each petal out - study the tops of a few of them, some dip down and some point upward.  I think I would use a large tulip cutter then slit them as shown in the photo.
It came out AMAZING!!!!!!!!
Bottom should be at least an 8 but a 9" would look better and give you more room to position the decorations on the cake above it.  
I'll take a poke at this one because I have a cake free weekend.  Yes you can put a buttercream cake on top of a fondant covered cake.  As far as whether to decorate the buttercream covered cake first or after it's in place on top of the fondant covered cake...........................ummmmmmmmmmmmm, without knowing what you are planning for decorations, I guess it's up to you.  If the decorations need to touch the fondant cake below then yes, put them together first.  If...
Nothing wrong with that cake.  Great job.  The only thing I want to whack you for is taking a great photo with a gnarly backdrop.  Get yourself two pieces of black and two of white foam core and use one under the cake and one in the back - propped up against the cabinets (in whichever color goes best with the cake you've done.  Makes all the difference in the world.
Fondant, just out of the freezer - in as thin a layer as you'd need it for a SugarVeil mat just wouldn't work.  Condensation on the fondant as it hits warm room air would turn it into instant mush.  And the pattern on all thin mats used for edible lace is so delicate and shallow that anything you put on the mat would clog the design - resulting in an inferior lace piece.
No - but it will alter the texture a little, making the icing a little stiffer and less likely to bleed.  Back in "The Day" all decorators use to use milk to create colored icing with and prevent separation of the color in your icing bag and those dreaded little white dots in the icing where crisco didn't mix well with the other ingredients because water and oil simply don't mix well.  Any bleeding I've gotten means your icing is too soft.
If the hall is air-conditioned the switch from extra cold fridge to room temp air will be minimal and you're a cake decorator, not a miracle worker so please relax, enjoy the event and let us know how it went.
Add a heaping tablespoon of plain old white flour to each batch of icing and use milk instead of water.  Let us know how this works for you.  I'm sure it will solve your problem but if it doesn't use less butter and more Crisco - in other words, half and half of each.
Another idea is to ask the customer for one you can copy.  This way it will mean more.  Go to Michaels in the clay department and pick up a food safe two part molding compound , purple and yellow box.  Make a mold of the brooch - takes 20 minutes to set.  Then put gumpaste, fondant or chocolate in the mold and there you have it.