Posts by DeniseNH

Fondant, just out of the freezer - in as thin a layer as you'd need it for a SugarVeil mat just wouldn't work.  Condensation on the fondant as it hits warm room air would turn it into instant mush.  And the pattern on all thin mats used for edible lace is so delicate and shallow that anything you put on the mat would clog the design - resulting in an inferior lace piece.
No - but it will alter the texture a little, making the icing a little stiffer and less likely to bleed.  Back in "The Day" all decorators use to use milk to create colored icing with and prevent separation of the color in your icing bag and those dreaded little white dots in the icing where crisco didn't mix well with the other ingredients because water and oil simply don't mix well.  Any bleeding I've gotten means your icing is too soft.
If the hall is air-conditioned the switch from extra cold fridge to room temp air will be minimal and you're a cake decorator, not a miracle worker so please relax, enjoy the event and let us know how it went.
Add a heaping tablespoon of plain old white flour to each batch of icing and use milk instead of water.  Let us know how this works for you.  I'm sure it will solve your problem but if it doesn't use less butter and more Crisco - in other words, half and half of each.
Another idea is to ask the customer for one you can copy.  This way it will mean more.  Go to Michaels in the clay department and pick up a food safe two part molding compound , purple and yellow box.  Make a mold of the brooch - takes 20 minutes to set.  Then put gumpaste, fondant or chocolate in the mold and there you have it.
Softened gumpaste works well but dries hard and cracks or breaks easily.  I would imagine it would be easy to get the fondant into the mat but because fondant is so soft and takes a long time to dry it would be a nightmare to get out of the mat UNLESS you add a lot of tylose or CMC to it?
Cutting an image out of fondant then sticking it to buttercream can be done with either a Cricut machine or The Silhouette.  Either way - just for that one cake it's going to cost you 3 hundred dollars or more just to get a machine to do this.  Are you sure you want to go that route.  You can purchase a few appropriate shaped cutters and make your own design out of gumpaste but you need to cover the parts you're not working on because it dries fast.  You can go to a DIY...
I forgot one other tip.  While cutting your stripes.....  Lay a length of waxed paper out on your kitchen counter.  Grease it ever so lightly.  Roll out your paste on the waxed paper and cut it into the half inch wide strips 0 remove excess paste then pick up the waxed paper and place onto a metal cookie sheet.  Place cookie sheet, waxed paper and fondant strips into your freezer for 10 minutes.  When ready to put the strips on the cake, take them out of the freezer one at...
All the best with the new and improved version.  Can't wait to see it.  We're here for you!!!
I've never made an Ariel cake so this thread intrigued me.  Love learning something new.  Looks like you take the Ariel Wilton face pan and line it with chocolate and that's why it's so huge, it started out as an actual cake pan.  No wonder it's so heavy.  And I would skip their directions and do what the other poster did, attach (in the back) four sturdy straws or dowels with more chocolate then put it on at the party.  Several reviewers said they would never do this...