Posts by DeniseNH

If we all took your advice (no insults intended) we wouldn't be doing very many cakes.  Most of the ladies in my group often laugh at how they could smack themselves for saying yes before our skills in that design are perfected.  Gotta Stretch Yourself.  Say "yes" then get busy practicing, practicing, practicing and asking questions on this forum.  The one skill a cake decorator needs is perseverance. Bucket loads of it.  Each cake is unique and a learning experience. ...
Happen to notice that there's a whole lot of color in that particular batch of icing.  Possibly the color is doing this?  Or whatever is in the color might be causing the bubbles.  When this happens to me I usually refrigerate it until cold then go over it lightly with additional buttercream to fill in the holes but the cold changes the color of the bottom layer and the top layer is usually lighter - this too will change over night in the fridge as the new layer darkens...
The reason I said don't freeze it is because it's not necessary, cold fondant is a pain to work with and during the thawing process moisture forms on the surface making it sticky.  If it works for you, go for it.  It takes up precious freezer space and can be carefully wrapped and dropped in a pastry bucket at room temp and will keep for months.
Absolutely don't freeze or refrigerate MMF.  I keep leftover MMF in sealed bags in a large bucket and am always grateful for a little extra when I run out.  MMF is a little too soft for larger figures but is perfect for the smaller ones.
I love the idea.  You could purchase chocolate sticks that look like the glue sticks in glue guns..................but all my mind sees is hot chocolate running out of the chocolate gun all over my counter...............maybe that's why it's never been invented??
If you had used the whites from cracking fresh eggs then I guess I would have questioned whether or not you got a bit of yellow in the white.  Even a little yellow kills the whites and leaves you with soup.  But I totally agree with others, cartons of egg whites may be the problem.
Turn it around.  If you asked your brother for a favor right now, what would his reaction be.  Yes, that's what I thought.  You're clearly being used.  He's trying to impress his girlfriend with his sister's talents.  You will put all that work into it and then be disappointed when you receive an invitation without your boyfriends name on it.  Send him an estimated price and watch him dissolve into the woodwork.
I've been under a lot of stress lately and misunderstood your question.  I haven't used BC on Fondant but Royal only - I'm so sorry I lead you down the wrong path.  Royal is the way to go because it sets up fast and can be put on thinly.  Yikes, going back into my bat cave now.  So Sorry.  Looks like others have done this successfully but I haven't tried it yet.
Yes, I have.  And I was super worried too but as long as the fondant has been freshly applied and hasn't sat in the fridge over night then been brought into the warmer kitchen air and has started to sweat before you try to apply the royal, you really will be fine.  I don't know what problems you're having but a good trick with royal is to place something under the front edge of the cake - like a 1/2" stack of paper - just so that the cake tilts back ever so slightly while...
Syriana:  If your bottom tier is squished a bit then you cut your pillars too short.  If the pillars are the correct size there should be little to no movement downward on any layers.