Posts by DeniseNH

You'll truly love the Bowman lace mix - haven't tried it myself but have heard glowing reviews about it.  I use Sugar Dress and had no idea you could apply it to buttercream - thought the oils in buttercream would leach into the lace and break it down - making it sticky.  Good to know.
So happy to say that I have no more cakes until January 11th.  I'm officially on winter sabbatical and can finally get organized around the house.  Tomorrow is cookie baking time.  Happy Holidays to all.  Rest up.  2015's wedding season is just a few months away.
I hear ya.  Put myself on a no sugar no white flour diet and was just asked to do all the desserts for our family Christmas celebration.  You'll hear my moaning on Saturday as I make things I can't sample.  BUT I always cave.................this time is different.
Avoid angel food but other than that, any will do. If you're finding that yours doesn't hold up then maybe your fondant is too thick and heavy.
Avoid angel food but other than that, any will do. If you're finding that yours doesn't hold up then maybe your fondant is too thick and heavy.
That's what I would do, mix sparkles, regular granular sugar and sanding sugar to get this look.  Good luck, I don't know how you're going to get it on evenly.  If the cake is fondant I would brush it all over with clear Karo.  If you put water on the cake it will eat through the fondant and melt the applied sugar.  But a thin coat of Karo won't.
Depends on if the sugar is dyed or white and what you mean by Covered - sprinkled on or plastered (a lot).
I would use gumpaste, let it dry solidly then don't apply it until the cake is in place.  You'll be fine.  You can see where the artist placed her fingers along the brim to thin it out so it's either gumpaste or yellow candy clay (my guess is clay).  If you're worried about it just make the brim of the hat out of yellow construction paper  but the bowl of the hat out of gumpaste.
I recently tried this and wasn't happy at all with a metal spoon.  My design went sideways (like your example).  I finally ended up using a smaller offset spatula and swirling the icing instead.  I was using IMBC but think that traditional buttercream is key.  And possibly a hot plastic spoon instead of hot metal?  Hope I don't get another order for that style until I figure the technique out.  :-)
I have no idea.  There's 2lbs of powdered sugar then the 16 oz pkg of marshmallows then all the other stuff so I would say almost 3 lbs.