Posts by wernie

Hi everyone,   I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to go about making a 3D stand mixer cake. I've done a few sculpted cakes, but am not overly experienced with figuring out supports and the logistics of that, so I'm not quite sure how you would get the upper part of the mixer that sticks out to be supported, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)
Great job! I really like it I'm like that too - always seeing things that I wish I did differently or that I think aren't so great - but you're right, we are our own worst critics! I'm sure everyone thought it was spectacular. Thanks for posting the partially done photos. So how did you end up doing it then? Sorry I can't quite tell from the photos. Did you wrap pieces around until they reached the other side, then cover up some of the 'seams' with roses? I'm interested to...
Hmm... I totally get what you're saying - makes sense. I've used natural PB in the US though and it was fine how I usually make it (in Australia now). I did add quite a bit of powdered sugar and then it kind of goes from the gloppy batch to just like 'dough-like' with adding more sugar. Then, if I add a bit of liquid to balance it out, it goes back to gloppy haha. So that's why I was thinking perhaps to just repurpose it into another recipe...
Hi everyone - so I've made peanut butter frosting many times and never had a problem. Well, last night I had the bright idea of trying this different natural peanut butter and it did not turn out as planned haha. It's just PB, icing sugar, butter, vanilla, and a little milk, but I think the PB was a bit too runny (and maybe oily) so it's this kind of thick, viscous, gloopy 'icing'. It doesn't taste bad, but it's just not really great for putting on a cupcake. So - I'd...
Hi all- I'm trying this out (business-wise) and had to find a kitchen to rent. For all of you that rent kitchens, do you just add that hourly rate into your overhead cost for each order? My kitchen is 19/hr for reg oven and 21/hr for combi oven. I'm just planning on doing reg oven, but even if I would just do a little cake, til I mix, bake, cool, frost/decorate...that's already 40-50 on the cost. Sorry, rambling a bit now, but just wanted to see what to do. Thanks
We don't have Pillsbury here...I'm in Australia
Okay I think that should work now
Hi everyone,So I am new to all of this (the business side of things, anyway). I've been asked my a coworker of a friend about making a 2nd birthday cake and a baby shower cake and she wants to know pricing, etc. The baby shower cake hasn't been discussed yet, but I was told she wants Thomas the Tank Engine for the birthday cake. I can't really use this though because it is copyrighted, right? Has anyone gone about getting the right to use the character? How long does that...
Hi everyone,I'm in the process of getting everything for my business together. I have gone through an acquaintance of a friend to get the logo/business card done and have been communicating with him via email. I am starting a small business and will be doing a trialing period of my products through a national coffee company (I happened to randomly meet the founder/owner at a conference that had absolutely nothing to do with baking or coffee!). If the trial period is a...
That's part of my problem though. I am literally just starting out more professionally and this will be my first time doing something like this. I've done a few little things for before, but it was more 'bartering' just because I wasn't fully ready yet and they were 2 small jobs. Otherwise, I've just done a few paid cakes for friends/acquaintances and then cookies/cakes for friends/family/fun. Now I am registered, have a certified kitchen I will be renting from, and have a...