Posts by didi5

The way that I would do it to achieve this look is to cut out little strips of fondant ( maybe about 1" width X the length of the cake) and apply it all around the border of the cake. See the drawing I have attached and check out the way the fondant would be applied. The shaded part would be the fondant. Cut the letters out of fondant with a cookie cutter then place on the cake. Then cover the whole cake with fondant. Hope that helps!
I have made an umbrella cake once for a bridal shower, you can check out my gallery to see it. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=436653The umbrella part was the easiest to do. I just cut a round cakein half and stacked it together. Then I traced the round cake pan (just half of it and ) on wax paper and made a template out of that to cut out the from the fondant. Then, I used the hollow plastic dowel and made a u shaped handle out of...
Yeah, I got my cutters from Global SUgar Art. You can order by going to Cake Central's hompage and click Global Sugar art from there.
Here's a tutorial that uses the plungers:http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/gum-paste-gerbera-flower.htmlHTH!
Whenever I decorate with fondant, I always chill my cake first so that the surface is hard. I use IMBC and it stiffens up like butter when it is cold. The I just place the foncant accents, sometimes with the help of water that was brushed on.
I like this recipe from Scott Clark Woolley. I also find that there are different qualities of gum trag. I'm not too crazy with Wilton's gum tex.Here's the gum paste recipe from Scott Clark Woolley: INGREDIENTS 6 cups + 1 1/3 cups confectioner's sugar2 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. Gum Tragacanth6 tbsp. water4 tsp. unflavored powdered gelatin1 heaping tbsp. shortening2 extra large eggs or 30 gms pasteurized egg whitesMETHOD Place 6 cups of confectioner's sugar and gum tragacanth in...
Sure!INGREDIENTS 2 1/2 cups sugar1/2 cup water1 cup eggwhites1 tsp. cream of tartar (optional)1 1/2 lbs. or 6 sticks butter cut up into small pieces 1 tsp. pure vanilla METHOD In a saucepan, combine 2 cups of sugar and water and heat until bubbly. Beat the eggwhites until soft peak have formed and slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar. Beat until stiff peaks have formed. Back to the syrup, bring it to a boil until a candy thermometer registers 248 degrees F (firm ball...
I'm glad it worked for you this time. Yes, I have tried that recipe already. That's what I first used until I discovered the WBH one. Tastes the same but it just yields more.
Here's another kind of bow to add to the list of tutorials:http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/fondant-bow.htmlTo make the fondant a bit more stiffer to hold up its shape better, I knead some cornstarch in the fondant. Always works for me.
My most requested is raspberry IMBC for filling. I just mash some defrosted raspberries with sugar and a bit of lemon juice then add it to the bc. Really good...What recipe do you use? I use the whimsical bakehouse recipe which uses a 1 1/2 pounds of butter. It's enough to fill and frost a 9'' cake.