Posts by LNW

I also totally agree with Jason. Business plan first. Years ago before we launched our technology business we were considering another route. We spent hours at the library pouring over books, going to local businesses that were doing sort of what we were thinking of doing, we worked with a realtor and found a space in the building that would have been PERFECT for our store and were able to haggle down the lease. But after hours and hours of putting together the...
Tiggy you seem a little touchy about this and I'm not sure why. I haven't read anywhere in this thread where not giving the customer the option of handmade BY the decorator is so terrible.Personally I don't do flowers by hand. I buy them. I was asked by a bride once to show me what one that I could do by hand out of royal icing would look like. I have one of those clear plastic boxes you use to hold fishing lures with all the flowers I know how to make in each space. ...
Your cake is awesome and I would consider this a VERY nice compliment. It stinks they didn't get to enjoy the taste of the cake as well but whatever, it's their cake.I've had this happen a few times at family events. When everyone gets started in on that "oh it's too pretty to cut blah blah blah" I grab the butcher's knife and hack into it lol. It's never going to get done unless someone steps up and cuts that sucker up. Then after they get to eating it and realize how...
Wow. She's got nothing better to do with her time then come into your store and hassle your staff? What a troll.I don't understand bakers like that. I would think you'd want to get along with the competition. It benefits everyone. I couldn't tell you how much $$$ we've made in our business when the competition didn't have the know how to do a job and passed the client along to us. And we've done the same for them. It's better to have friends then enemies.
There is a baker here in my area that does what you’re thinking of doing. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out why they were always closed. I drive by all the time and I always wanted to stop in but it’s never open so after a while I figured they must have gone out of business and forgot about them. Then one day I went by and surprise surprise there was someone in there. I didn’t stop but I did call when I got home and they explained that the storefront was just...
I use the same recipe for the FBCT that I use to ice the cake. Mine is a half butter half shortening recipe. It works just fine. It does get pretty soft pretty quickly though so I put my transfers on fast. I have never used Wilton's pre-made pipping stuff for outlines, sounds like another way to scam money off of you honestly. I just color my own icing black and go with that. HTH
ITA with QT. Brownies must be chewy and super fudgey. And the edge pieces are my absolute favorite part. We had a brownie thread a loooong time ago and several bakers admitted to cutting off the edge pieces Why?!? It's the best part, IMO. They make pans now that make edge pieces around every brownie so I know I'm not in the minority lol.
ITA with mcaulir and cai0311 about having my opinion thrown in my face repeatedly and implied that I’m the one with the problem and everyone else is normal, not a good tactic to take. I also don’t think brining up how she’s probably used to Crisco based icing and box mix cakes was a good way to go either. It sounds like an insult, like you are saying she’s got no taste. If I’d gotten your response I would have been angry as well. I’d also have been absolutely insulted...
My friends and family know that I will be happy to make a cake for their kid's birthday for free but don't expect a gift as well. Most everyone wants a gift for their kids too though so I don't usually get asked to do it that way.
I'm not a legal baker so I can't answer your question personally. There is a small bakery in the city near me who bakes 100% from scratch (and they advertise the snot out of that) and many other's that bake from a mix. They all cost about the same. I looked into buying my son's birthday cake from the scratch bakery just to try it out (I've never had good scratch cake before) and their prices were the same as another very popular bakery in the city that bakes from a mix....