Posts by LNW

I use the same recipe for the FBCT that I use to ice the cake. Mine is a half butter half shortening recipe. It works just fine. It does get pretty soft pretty quickly though so I put my transfers on fast. I have never used Wilton's pre-made pipping stuff for outlines, sounds like another way to scam money off of you honestly. I just color my own icing black and go with that. HTH
ITA with QT. Brownies must be chewy and super fudgey. And the edge pieces are my absolute favorite part. We had a brownie thread a loooong time ago and several bakers admitted to cutting off the edge pieces Why?!? It's the best part, IMO. They make pans now that make edge pieces around every brownie so I know I'm not in the minority lol.
ITA with mcaulir and cai0311 about having my opinion thrown in my face repeatedly and implied that I’m the one with the problem and everyone else is normal, not a good tactic to take. I also don’t think brining up how she’s probably used to Crisco based icing and box mix cakes was a good way to go either. It sounds like an insult, like you are saying she’s got no taste. If I’d gotten your response I would have been angry as well. I’d also have been absolutely insulted...
My friends and family know that I will be happy to make a cake for their kid's birthday for free but don't expect a gift as well. Most everyone wants a gift for their kids too though so I don't usually get asked to do it that way.
I'm not a legal baker so I can't answer your question personally. There is a small bakery in the city near me who bakes 100% from scratch (and they advertise the snot out of that) and many other's that bake from a mix. They all cost about the same. I looked into buying my son's birthday cake from the scratch bakery just to try it out (I've never had good scratch cake before) and their prices were the same as another very popular bakery in the city that bakes from a mix....
I would practice your basketweave a little more too. Do it on an actual round surfuce, like the side of one of your cake pans. Basketweave is very forgiving which is great if you aren't that good at smoothing yet. But if it's done sloppy or you get your lines off a little it will look terrible.I would bake my cakes now, wrap and freeze them. That will save you hours of baking time later on. I also agree that you should make your roses early and let them air dry. They...
ITA with all the other parents who said they pitch homemade treats. My kids got some really cool homemade popcorn balls one year. They had decorated them like pumpkins. My dd REALLY wanted it but I didn't have any idea if it was safe so we threw it away. I'm sure those folks went through a lot of work to make them and I'm sure most people probably threw them out. Don't hand out cake pops, it will be a waste of your time and money.One of our favorite treat bag finds is...
I've never sold at a Farmer's Market but I've bought many times from cake vendors there. They all have had a display of cupcakes or small decorated cakes for you to look at. But when I've purchased something from them they either got my cupcake/whatever from a cooler they had sitting under their stand or from a box out of a mini fridge in a truck. The only thing I've ever bought right off a table was cookies and bread. And they are always wrapped up with a lable on them.
I have never dropped one while I was delivering it. The cake in my av, I dropped the bottom tier when I was moving it (totally iced and done) from one counter to another. It was soooo heavy and I wasn't ready for that when I picked it up and it just flopped onto the floor. I stood there for a second, collected myself and made another. I don't know what I would do in your situation.
That's what I did but every time I'd take the plate off the top of the tier underneath all the icing came up off it on the bottom of the plate. I was mortified. The cake lady never said THAT was going to happen lol. Nobody cared though, thank goodness.I have never cut another wedding cake since and I never will lol. I lack the abilities to do it apparently